Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Confused Newbs: My Handle Is More Than "Alphabet Soup!"
Way, way, way back on the old forum, a few years prior to its demise, I got signed up.

I had more characters in my handle back then:

XYMOX_4AD_84.

It's a highly Atari X, highly 3T handle.

Quiz time.

What does each element signify?

(I previously stated the meanings on the old forum ... but newbs and those with poor attention spans wouldn't have gotten the 411 .... )

If you have to actually explain your user handle you might want to consider getting a new one. Besides...

Everyone here, including the n00bs know that XYMOX_4AD_84 is your KGB designation. Vladimir Putin told us. I just spoke to him today, he's hiding at the Daytona Beach Wal-Mart carrying out his evil plan to greet customers and bring down America.

Также я забыл, что воробей летит в полночь. Воробей летит в полночь.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
I'm not trying to discredit you. You do a great job of that yourself. You don't need my help in that regard.

More to the point. I don't care, and honestly neither does anyone else, what or why your handle is the way it is. As I said, if you feel the need to explain your handle then you need a new one. It really is that simple.

As for attacking others? No not really. I mostly mock them. I point out their glaringly obvious flaws to everyone else. Since we have an Odin and a Ragnarok I figured we need a Loki.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(03-09-2017, 04:52 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Way, way, way back on the old forum, a few years prior to its demise, I got signed up.

I had more characters in my handle back then:

XYMOX_4AD_84.

It's a highly Atari X, highly 3T handle.

Quiz time.

What does each element signify?

(I previously stated the meanings on the old forum ... but newbs and those with poor attention spans wouldn't have gotten the 411 .... )

XYMOX = contraction of the band, Clan of Xymox
4AD = record label of aforementioned band.
84 = Rated #84 in the best albums of 1986

https://www.amazon.com/Medusa-Clan-Xymox/dp/B000S5CG3Q    Cool
---Value Added Cool
(03-09-2017, 10:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: If you have to actually explain your user handle you might want to consider getting a new one.  Besides...

Actually, there are only two people that have figured out my handle and I didn't have to use code.  Hell, I can and have left a major clue in plain sight and pretty much everyone misses it.  I don't mind because it allows me to figure out who is actually paying attention.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(03-10-2017, 06:36 AM)Galen Wrote:
(03-09-2017, 10:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: If you have to actually explain your user handle you might want to consider getting a new one.  Besides...

Actually, there are only two people that have figured out my handle and I didn't have to use code.  Hell, I can and have left a major clue in plain sight and pretty much everyone misses it.  I don't mind because it allows me to figure out who is actually paying attention.

I always assumed it was a reference to the ancient physician. But then again I don't even attempt to keep up with pop culture.

Galen -- much admired physician from Roman times.

Of course we have gone far beyond him.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(03-10-2017, 11:24 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

I always assumed it was a reference to the ancient physician.  But then again I don't even attempt to keep up with pop culture.

Wrong but then that is what everyone thinks.  I largely ignore pop culture myself but where I got the name was never really a part of pop culture anyway.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(03-10-2017, 11:47 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Galen -- much admired physician from Roman times.

You are wrong, as usual.

(03-10-2017, 03:08 PM)Galen Wrote:

I always assumed it was a reference to the ancient physician.  But then again I don't even attempt to keep up with pop culture.

Wrong but then that is what everyone thinks.  I largely ignore pop culture myself but where I got the name was never really a part of pop culture anyway.

I would say that is probably because if it is a reference to something not in pop culture per se, then history is what most people would look toward (as this forum primarily deals with history).  I wonder though if anyone can guess the meaning behind my own user handle.

Unless of course it is a reference to the Starkiller. But that would only place it's entry into broad culture around 2014.

Obviously you're a race-car fan.  Tongue
(03-10-2017, 03:33 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: Obviously you're a race-car fan.  Tongue

Well I do like NASCAR but that is probably more due to being a Southerner than anything else.  The highlight of many years is when the BF wins the office betting pool which usually include tickets to the Daytona 500 or the one on the 4th of July (whose name escapes me cause they keep changing it--but all the locals still call it the Firecracker 400).

But no, not the reason behind my handle.

I'll bite, you were born in 1979 and stationed in Camp Kinser at some point.  If, that is, the Marine Corps bases have Navy pukes living with them.  Tongue

While we're all being narcissistic, bet you can't guess the meaning of my present handle, or my previous one.  Wink
Well you got part of it right. But no was never stationed at Camp Kinser and I'm pretty sure that the Jarheads don't have many if any Navy personnel in their little habitat. Besides I as a Squid anyway so if I ever got liberty it was most often in the States. You can guess again if you're arsed to care. I'll give one other hint it isn't my actual surname.

I know this one. Some dude!!!!

(03-10-2017, 04:29 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Well you got part of it right.  But no was never stationed at Camp Kinser and I'm pretty sure that the Jarheads don't have many if any Navy personnel in their little habitat.  Besides I as a Squid anyway so if I ever got liberty it was most often in the States.  You can guess again if you're arsed to care.  I'll give one other hint it isn't my actual surname.

I know this one.  Some dude!!!!

Nope, am burned out on guessing games.  And no, "SomeDude" was not my previous handle, although I will save it for future reference.
(03-10-2017, 03:31 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

I would say that is probably because if it is a reference to something not in pop culture per se, then history is what most people would look toward (as this forum primarily deals with history).  I wonder though if anyone can guess the meaning behind my own user handle.

It from something that was popular among a relatively small part of pop culture about thirty years ago.

(03-10-2017, 04:42 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: I know this one.  Some dude!!!!

Nope, am burned out on guessing games.  And no, "SomeDude" was not my previous handle, although I will save it for future reference.

SomeGuy = Jordan Goodspeed.
---Value Added Cool

I'll take a stab at this.:  It's shorthand for Galen L. Stone.
---Value Added Cool
(03-11-2017, 05:14 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: I'll take a stab at this.:  It's shorthand for Galen L. Stone.

No.

(03-11-2017, 04:56 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 04:42 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: I know this one.  Some dude!!!!

SomeGuy = Jordan Goodspeed.

Figures.  I knew, I knew that posting style.  But my hopes were dashed when he failed to respond to my cryptic statements issued in a particular Slavic language.