Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a feeling that today (or yesterday) is probably a huge generational shift.
Infamous -- but a tipping point in the generational cycle. Trump still had support large enough that he was within a 1.18% even swing of the popular vote of winning the Presidential election and keeping a Republican majority in the Senate. We had a President with an authoritarian-style cult of personality, and we can only imagine what a Second Term would be like. He had the audacity to believe that he won, and by a landslide no less except for pervasive vote fraud.

He has disgraced himself in ways that few of us though possible. But now we know why there were still Trump rallies. I would not be surprised that some of the people in the post-election rallies that I saw had gone to Washington, DC yesterday (but I am not going to accuse them of going into the Capitol Building   to wreak havoc.

We may be learning a few things from this ugliness. First, we must not raise kids to be like Donald Trump, a shallow man with a hair-trigger temper and unable to defer to scientific truth, objective evidence, and ordinary decencies of behavior. Second, we must raise any future children to face the civic responsibility of electing politicians who are not demagogues. (I am sure that the Millennial vote went strongly against Trump).

Trump did not appear in a political vacuum. He is the Presidential expression of the Tea Party movement that flipped the House of Representatives in 2010 and the Senate in 2014. He had the backing of people who believe that the sting of poverty is just the thing to compel greater productivity and loyalty to bosses who get paid well for treating workers badly.      

Well, maybe we can't blame him for educational content above K-12 that does nothing to build character and establish suitable values for leaders. We can't blame him for the speculative boom on shady lending in the Double-Zero decade that led to the Panic of 2008 which looked much like the first year and a half following the crazy activity in the securities markets in summer 1929 (1929 and 2007 were the peaks, and the real crashes came in 130 and 2008, respectively).  

Two years after Pearl Harbor the US had started to liberate Italy (and it was a liberation)whittling away at the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" and started collecting troops for the D-Day onslaught (and death blow in the west upon the Third Reich) while delivering much-needed food and truckis to the Soviet Union -- which needed them.   Four years after Pearl Harbor, Hitler and Mussolini would be dead and Tojo would be in custodyFiguring that financial panics typically define the start of a Crisis Era, we are likely in the equivalent of 1943.

The political crisis is over.

[Image: page1-800px-Persons_of_interest_Washingt...21.pdf.jpg]

Tough luck to this @$$hole! At least one moron brought in a Confederate flag.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have a feeling that today (or yesterday) is probably a huge generational shift. - by pbrower2a - 01-08-2021, 02:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Common Mistakes People Make with Generational Theory JasonBlack 15 2,734 10-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Common social dynamics between generational archetypes JasonBlack 1 619 07-23-2022, 10:06 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Generational Struggles with Parents JasonBlack 0 633 05-18-2022, 01:53 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  How well do you relate to each of the generational archetypes JasonBlack 2 929 03-22-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Generational Boundaries and Movies Anthony '58 1 1,012 12-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Can Generational Boundaries Shift Over Time? Anthony '58 3 2,648 06-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green