The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I Become more Pro-War?
I hate war. So often it is needless destruction and pain, one empire, dynasty or nation fighting another; wars over boundaries of one group against another, for resources, etc. I am against those kinds of wars.

But these days, I notice something. I support and like the people-power risings that have happened all over the world increasingly since people power was invented at Berkeley in 1964, or perhaps by Gandhi in the 1920s and 30s in India. These risings powered the sixties/seventies peace, ecology and civil rights/black power and other ethnic and gender movements. From there they spread to the anti-aparteid movement in South Africa, and then the risings that toppled western backed tyrannies in the mid/late 1980s and the communist tyrannies in 1989. More such risings happened in Eastern Europe in 1997, in the enormous anti-Iraq war demonstrations in Feb.2003; and then from Iran in 2009 the people-power spread to Tunisia in late 2010 and all across North Africa and the Middle East starting in 2011. From there the number and places of these risings is almost too hard to count; in Georgia, Ukraine and Russia, in Brazil and other Latin American places, in Turkey, in Iraq and Lebanon, in Thailand, in Tajikistan and Belarus, to Hong Kong and north-western China, and frequently in the USA-- especially in the Trump era, and now to Burma, and to Russia again.

What happens to these risings? Most of them are crushed and result in more tyranny. Syria was an especially grotesque example, and the refugees this uprising and its brutal repression caused also led to nationalist reactionary movements in Europe, including Brexit and the election of Boris Johnson. Tyranny has accelerated everywhere, and is now as dominant a form of government as it ever was in the 1930s or in the age of kings, caesaro-papism or imperialism.

What occurs to me is this: why should the state have a monopoly of the weapons and the arms which they use to impose the will of a few tyrants over what their people clearly want: freedom and democracy?

So, shouldn't freer nations supply weapons to freedom-loving citizens of these tyrannies who are rising up and getting crushed, and who organize armed resistance and ask for assistance? These are revolutionary wars. Wars to defend the people against their tyrant. Bloody, perhaps futile; perhaps turning into proxy wars; but maybe justified, and the only hope citizens have to attain freedom? A freedom that admittedly can be lost again, or which the citizens can themselves vote to lose again, as citizens of Egypt, Poland, Hungary, Turkey and Brazil (and almost in the USA in 2016) recently did, for example? The new boss being the same as the old boss? But could this be the only way in which progress can happen again? (and, of course, it also depends on us knowing what progress is, which many Americans (i.e. Trump followers) do not know these days, or didn't know in the sixties either)

Or should we continue to place our hopes in non-violent demonstrations or civil disobedience, general strikes, etc, in which millions upon millions of people put their bodies on the line, and put them against the levers and the gears of the tyrannical machine run by a few tyrants in order to make it stop, as Mario Savio said at Berkeley in 1964? Put our hopes in that, and hope that it could still work, even though right now it has resulted in failure after failure?

I'm wondering, right now. Must freedom always be attained with blood? The cost of freedom is high, but Americans have always paid it, said JFK.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
Should I Become more Pro-War? - by Eric the Green - 02-09-2021, 02:51 PM
RE: Should I Become more Pro-War? - by David Horn - 02-09-2021, 05:49 PM
RE: Should I Become more Pro-War? - by Einzige - 02-09-2021, 08:11 PM
RE: Should I Become more Pro-War? - by pbrower2a - 02-10-2021, 02:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The new Cold War with China Eric the Green 11 2,709 02-20-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  The forgotten ‘forever war’: Biden boosts U.S. military footprint in Syria chairb 0 565 10-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Democracy losing the war on four huge fronts Eric the Green 3 1,383 08-14-2021, 03:40 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Trump seeks to pardon SEAL and others accused of war crimes gal39 20 6,999 03-31-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Report: US Government Chronically Lied About Trillion Dollar War In Afghanistan mayor2 13 4,474 01-25-2021, 09:15 PM
Last Post: random3
  Gabbard Denounces AG Sessions’ Escalation of Failed War on Drugs nebraska 0 1,185 01-23-2018, 02:20 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Trump declares war on the Constitution nebraska 0 1,099 01-22-2018, 01:51 AM
  Congress desperately dodges its duty on war and peace nebraska 0 1,173 01-15-2018, 08:54 PM
  Washington’s War Against The People nebraska 0 1,194 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM
  The constitutionality of escalating war in Afghanistan nebraska 0 971 01-15-2018, 03:21 AM