Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analysis of the Generations Isn’t an Exact Science
(07-25-2016, 05:37 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 08:41 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: @Tara,

First let me say that you are very much a civic.  In fact one of the most civic people I know and I have adult memories of GIs.  That being said there is a great deal of overlap with the generations and not just due to turning.  I've postulated in the past that social class and siblings (and to a lesser extent cousins) play a part in the manifestation of ones Nomadness, Civicness, Artistness, and Prophetness.  

For example my sister and you share the same birth year yet she is no where near as civic as you are having a clear lean toward civic but having more than a little nomad flavor.  That flavor I would argue is the response of being in a household not only having a late wave Xer older brother but also having contact with core and early Xer cousins.

Add to that social class and it has been my experience that those coming from the working class and working poor seem to have an exaggerated level of Adaptives and Nomads whereas in the more well off classes the opposite is true (Civics and Prophets being exaggerated).

That being said, it is my opinion that the S&H dates are perhaps the best, excluding my  own of course (but that is mostly because I have problems with the Civil War Saeculum rather than the current saeculum).

Ah that would explain a lot. My grandparents are silents. My mother is a boomer like my uncles. I had zero contact with xers in my personal life. I only looked up to them culturally. But did not get to know these people. My mother also would shake her head at xers antics and tell me to never be like that. The way i was raised as well (being rather smothered but experiencing a civic upbringing at school made me fight my mother to be raised as a civic. I fought to experience the bit of freedom they enjoyed. Pretty much i fought to be more of a civic. Add to it how the earthquakes influenced me. My reaction was to join the sva and build teams to help those who needed the help through answering calls for help on our fb page. It has cemented what teamwork can do with my generation and we still continue to work that way in the work force now. Creating companies that way. But do keep in mind my mother is in severe financial strife...also she raised me on her own. We have always been severely poor. But my mother sheltered me and never let me know how bad things were. Now I am an adult i understand and have decided that we also are a team and i will help her too. As they say no one gets left behind. I had the same mentality as other millies in the group who did not leave anyone behind in desperate times. Especially the sickly and elderly. I have always been poor but it helps me to sympathize with others and to give all i have. Even when i just had a drip coming out of the tap i gave it to others who had none. One poor elderly lady i will never forget. She was in tears and said now she can have a cup of tea. She had no water and was crippled and alone. Broke my heart. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. It was so empowering and important for what we all did and it is wonderful to be part of a community pull-together. We must look after each other for you never know what someone else is going through.

This is interesting because as a kid I had LOTS of exposure to Xers when I was growing up. My sister is a 1976 cohort, my stepdad was a 1961 cohort. My "direct" cousins (the kids of my aunts and uncles) are all Xers, though their kids are all Millennials with some of them close to me in age (in my extended family I'm the oldest Millennial).
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generations and Big 5 Personality JasonBlack 9 1,309 12-27-2022, 02:43 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Homophobia in different generations JasonBlack 2 725 07-23-2022, 07:46 PM
  Sub-Generations JasonBlack 3 997 05-07-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  The advantage of recessive generations JasonBlack 2 1,070 03-17-2022, 06:35 PM
  What are the Generations of other countries Phantom 0 917 12-28-2021, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Phantom
  Current anomaly: Five generations alive! Hintergrund 90 47,745 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Why do S&H start Civic generations so early? Blazkovitz 24 12,099 09-04-2021, 09:42 PM
  LPTs for the generations to live up to their archetypal role sbarrera 27 9,725 07-26-2021, 11:13 PM
  Is it typical for adjacent generations to not know each other all that well? nguyenivy 3 1,863 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Why cultural "generations" are flawed Ghost 14 7,148 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Ghost