Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Charles Manson wreck the Boom Awakening?
Of course those concerned about the justice being trampled by the reactionary, racist-tinged right-wing takeover of today. The resistance needs to be strong. Can it be strong, and yet not arouse as much fear among the silent majority? Progressives do somehow need to create the impression that they are interested in all of us moving beyond our current economic stagnation, which is why some "populists" of the genuine kind may have some appeal today in red states.

And there's the peculiar fact that America has become saddled with the biggest right-wing in the world; much of it in reaction to the sixties movements; but it had always been there. It was just challenged as never before. Racism always ruled the South, and Americans were always parochial and not very informed, and so they reacted to criticism by "hippies and anarchists" of our nation's wars with "love it or leave it." America always had some degree of the notion that its capitalism was superior to others' ways, and that self-reliance is what made America great. Many cling to Christianity as some kind of bedrock of truth beyond all question. This American reactionism just became more exaggerated after it was seriously challenged for the first time in the sixties. It's just something we need to deal with, and defeat as necessary politically, if we are ever to move forward, and become more like the advanced countries in northern Europe and the Anglosphere, instead of becoming more like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Honduras.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Charles Manson wreck the Boom Awakening? - by Eric the Green - 11-27-2017, 03:43 PM