Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plato, Aristotle, and the double-saeculum pattern
(08-18-2016, 06:09 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-10-2016, 04:36 PM)Odin Wrote: I've been reading The Cave And The Light, Plato Versus Aristotle And The Struggle for The Soul of Western Civilization by Arthur Herman, and I noticed that the themes of the book, the struggle between the intellectual and cultural legacies of Plato and Aristotle match very closely tho the discussions about "Dionysian/Advancement" and "Apollonian/Atonement" saecula.

According to the book the legacy of Plato represents the intuitive, inspirational, mystical, utopian, and dogmatic side of Western culture while Aristotle represents the empirical, logical, and worldly side. This seems to fit the double saeculum. In the Boomer and Romantic Awakenings we both see a revolt against the "crass" Aristotelian "materialism" of the previous saeculum.

One interesting bit I just read that should strike a chord with the Boomers here, where they are talking about the spiritual bankruptcy of Neoclassical art and the failure of the French Revolution:

Quote:What was needed instead was a revolution lead by poets and artists like Shelley and his friends. Then, he believed, humanity would achieve the future Kant had foreseen, a world of perpetual peace and harmony. Mankind would witness the overthrow of intellectual as well as political tyranny and the establishment of the rights of man and - with a nod to Mary Wollstonecraft - the rights of woman. The dream that haunted the Platonic imagination since St. Augustine, of an Eternal City united by love and equality and justice, would be realized with the poets (as opposed to God or the theologians) leading the way.

"DAMN SMELLY HIPPIES!!!" Big Grin
Just have to add that I described to Chas (who has spoken of this double saeculum theory before) of what life is like here in NZ and he says we are probably in the Appolonian cycle like England which is the opposite of America which is in the Dionysian saeculum currently. I find that fascinating that we are in a different saeculum. Responding to the 4T in a different way. Fascinating stuff. I guess us Kiwi millies in that way are responding to our 4T in a way that is closer to the American GIs than American millies today. Attitude wise. Different things happening of course but we are more organized. No it is not just because we are a smaller nation. Historically NZ was not always this way. It also explains why some think I am more like a civic GI. We are in the same saeculum GI's were in at the time in America.

I liked Chas' posts.

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternating 4T pattern explained galaxy 55 19,787 01-29-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Tim Randal Walker
  Sarkar's Theories And The Saeculum Anthony '58 7 4,135 08-25-2022, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
Photo Anacyclosis (256 years cycle / 12 Generation / 3 Saeculum) Mark40 15 13,461 06-04-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Political Cycle Model for Saeculum Mikebert 48 34,781 09-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Finding the 6 Turnings pattern elsewhere. Jessquo 0 1,537 04-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Jessquo
  Morality and the Saeculum sbarrera 6 7,375 11-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  saeculum harmonics Mikebert 9 7,615 05-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: John J. Xenakis