Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neither of the current major party candidates is the "Grey Champion".
Quote:Claiming that Roosevelt ran a "right-wing campaign" in 1932 is an overstatement to the point of a lie. The very common perception. encouraged by both candidates, was that Roosevelt was the more radical candidate.

By "right wing" I mean ran to the right of Hoover in that he attacked Hoover's deficits. I would point out that the environment was different.  In 1932 the economy had collapsed.  Fully one third of the companies on the New York Stock Exchange were worth more dead than alive.

I did not lift it from anybody.  My statement was based on these beliefs: (1) During the campaign FDR attacked Hoover for deficit spending. (2) FDR did not outline a radical program by which he would address the crisis.  I provided no evidence, the information I derived this from were potted histories from election sites.  I have not made this claim in a paper and so have not mounted a vigorous assertion of my point. 

So I will add these points:  FDR was no enemy of bankers:
Quote:but the Du Ponts and Rockefellers are certainly on record in Congressional investigations as the largest contributors to the 1928 Hoover campaign. But Wall Street withdrew its support of Herbert Hoover in 1932 and switched to FDR. Lundberg omits to mention this critical and pivotal withdrawal. Why did Wall Street switch? Because, as we shall see later, Herbert Hoover would not adopt the Swope Plan created by Gerard Swope, long-time president of General Electric. By contrast, FDR accepted the plan, and it became FDR's National Industrial Recovery Act

And he was not the favorite of college students in Seattle:

Quote:Evidently, college students, both in Seattle and nationally, did not share in this consensus. The UW Daily conveys the impression that students favored Hoover overwhelmingly. Because the Daily was not published during the summer months when school was not in session, it is difficult to gain their views of the National Convention nominations. However, in the days before the November1932 election, a straw poll was taken on campuses across the country to determine how college students felt about the election. On November 8, 1932, The Daily came out with findings that paralleled the national poll, reporting that Herbert Hoover had won the majority of votes in the straw poll.[14] At UW the Hoover margin was larger than the national poll. Sixty percent of those participating in the unscientific poll at UW said they supported Hoover.[15] It is not clear that this was an accurate reading of student opinions since students had to make an effort to participate in the straw poll. But the results are still important, demonstrating that despite the huge victory for the Democrats, there was still a decent amount of support in the city.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neither of the current major party candidates is the "Grey Champion". - by Mikebert - 08-31-2016, 03:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forward Party (USA)? nguyenivy 11 1,875 09-03-2022, 02:28 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Gray Champion Predictions jleagans 153 83,721 09-01-2022, 03:00 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The failure of the Democratic Party Mickey123 54 40,730 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Grey Champions and the Election of 2016 Kinser79 154 123,764 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Last Post: SomeGuy