Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X
(09-20-2016, 04:58 AM)taramarie Wrote: When the issue of Woodstock is raised I have to consider several things. I watched the videos and considered what they have to say as well as my reaction. I also have seen the recording of woodstock. The whole recording. Rather long but I saw it. I was shocked as I have never seen my parents generation act that way before. But I do need to also keep in mind that this was also a subculture of the boomer generation. Others just went about their daily lives not behaving in this manner. I listen to other boomers who are also early boomers and we do need to keep in mind that this would be early boomers. Not later ones who would have been too young for such an event like my mother who was born 1957. She would have been 11or 12 depending on the month. Probably 11 years old. So we need to address it would have been earlier boomers and not all early boomers fit the mold.

The mess would have been due to the fact there were so many and they had not prepared for so many to show up so they were not prepared naturally for the amount of mess they would create. Not enough bins. I do however think it would have been courteous of them to stay around and clean up after.

I have nothing against people using drugs although my initial reaction to the recording of woodstock when they were handing out P was total shock. It is their body to do as they wish with after all. However I do know some of them had wee children and I do think the parents had no right to bring their children to an event like that unsupervised and watching their parents get drunk, high and probably watching them have sex (i saw some doing that in the video). They should be caring for the child, not have the child run wild like that unsupervised and playing parent to the parents. This i saw as well in the video. Children caring for their parents. It sickened me. But I will not blame the whole thing on boomers. This does not include all boomers. Certainly not younger ones who would be too young for this event or the behaviours portrayed which by the sounds of things from the reporters despite what I have mentioned above they were kindly, peaceful and mannerly which I do know actually happened for i saw the video of woodstock.  So there are the good and the bad of my analysis of the event as well as thinking of how they simply were not prepared for so many concert goers...but I do also mention they should have picked up their mess or help to pick up all the mess. Anyway that is the best analysis I can think of currently. Many have moved on from such days. I say many as some still think they are back then and think we should be back then too.

This kind of crap was far more common than is generally acknowledged.  My parents were not hippies, thank God for small favors, but even they were affected by the culture these assholes created.  That self-absorbed, damn the consequences attitude has caused Xers more than a few problems.  Of which, the divorce epidemic was only one of the problems.  This is why so many of us are very good at surviving the stupid.  Those of us with Lost and GI relatives tended to fare better.

It is hard for you to understand what living in a time when the nominal adults were acting like children and busy breaking everything.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-20-2016, 12:30 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-20-2016, 07:16 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-21-2016, 07:00 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-27-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:01 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:03 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:08 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Singers > Boomers, Xers and Millennials JasonBlack 11 1,772 06-01-2022, 09:05 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack