Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking point: America approaching a period of disintegration
(01-18-2017, 07:45 AM)Odin Wrote: I've been doing some soul-searching since the election and I've come to the realization that while the New Left has had a lot of good ideas, in terms of practical political action they have been mostly toxic. They do activist sorts of things that do nothing but offend a lot of people in more conservative areas instead of changing their minds while at the same time often refusing to even vote, or if they do vote they vote for the Greens as a protest vote (this is why voter turnout on the Dem side is so inconsistent). A lot of these people would rather see the world burn than vote for the lesser evil. This has allowed the Far-Right wackos to pull the Overton Window further and further to the Right, because they vote and vote consistently...

The atomization of the left is certainly an issue too.  Every small group, fully invested in the righteousness of its cause, can't be bothered to support any other groups or causes because ... well, just because.  I was listening to 1A on NPR a while ago, and a woman promoting the march in DC on Saturday noted how her own mother had been shocked that she considered herself to be a feminist ... because she's black.  That kind of thinking is pervasive on the left.  On the right, winning is the central focus -- perhaps the only focus.  Their principles seem to be squishy at best.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Strange Disappearance of Cooperation in America Dan '82 2 3,554 07-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Odin