Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Technology Didn't Produce Increased Leisure
Was just thinking about this one of my "children" on this forum. One of the last posts here talked about the way feelings are explored, and during the last Awakening, in fact more toward its end, encounter groups were a big venue for expression of feelings. Although this was a passing fad ala disco, (in fact its heyday was the early-80s post disco, many of the ideas arising from it could still be relevant today. Questions such as: how do you nurture yourself? Do you take time out for yourself?

The latter of these when I read it brought back memories of creating this thread in order to explore how much people really do take time out for themselves, especially those more on the upper echelon of the income scale who have become legendary for workaholism. Does anybody sense any yearning for a return to days when lives were more balanced and work time and family/social/free time were in most cases divorced from one another? Will more of our bodies and souls ask us to spend some quality time looking after ourselves, realizing it's okay to schedule time out for ourselves and to set boundaries. This reminds me of, I believe, France, where a law supposedly took effect that would prohibit employers from sending out non-emergency emails after normal business hours. At least I believe that was the way it was worded.

If we don't look after ourselves it's pretty difficult to be present for those you love. And not just on a set-aside love fest day in February.

Do any of you think we will ever see that society of increased leisure we were, some half century ago, all bur promised?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Technology Didn't Produce Increased Leisure - by beechnut79 - 06-11-2019, 10:26 AM