Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Turnings and Cinema
Let's consider the last completed Crisis. As I see it, a Crisis results from a depraved "Degeneracy" (I need an antonym for Howe and Strauss' "regeneracy", and I think it fits well

What could be a more degenerate lead into a Crisis than this depiction of a sort of burlesque:

Quote: What good is sitting alone in your room?
Come hear the music play
Life is a cabaret, old chum
Come to the cabaret

Put down the knitting, the book and the broom
It's time for a holiday
So come to the cabaret

Come taste the wine
Come hear the band
Come blow that horn
Start celebrating right this way
Your table's waiting

What could permitting some prophet of doom
To wipe every smile away
So come to the cabaret

All sorts of stage permutations of the musical Cabaret are possible, but all of the culminate with the rise of you-know-what. Although Cabaret as a movie is not conventionally seen as a horror movie, t has some crucial elements: freakish characters, people doing nasty and depraved stuff as if they could not do otherwise, and bad things happening to innocent people. Of course we know from history the ultimate horror which needed not be shown explicitly. The only likable people in the movie are Jewish characters, and we know what will happen to them. If we don't quite get the message, we see the dead pet dog of the (Jewish) Landauer family being shown beaten to death.

(I understand that one stage version has the characters of the Kit Kat Club [the name of the Cabaret] in an epilogue in one final performance -- as they are about to be gassed in a murder camp).
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
The Turnings and Cinema - by pbrower2a - 06-22-2018, 07:52 PM
RE: The Turnings and Cinema - by pbrower2a - 06-22-2018, 08:23 PM