Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts On Where We Are, and Where We're Going
(09-11-2018, 10:04 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 09:04 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Obama may be contributing more to a regeneracy now than he did as president, although now only as giving speeches to support the Democrats in midterms. He made the point in his excellent speech Sept. 7 at an Illinois campus that I have made before. There is no use separating the progressive agenda into those of white workers vs. diverse social groups; it is the same group with the same problem; domination of our society by an economic elite that uses fear and prejudice to prop up free market nostrums. 

That's one of the reasons I find the continuous drumbeat of the anti-racists and anti-misogynists so troubling.  It's not that they are wrong,  It's that they are divisive.  If you want to wrench power from the monied elite, you need all-hands-on-deck.  That won't happen if women and people of color are looking narrowly at their special issues, and only looking there.  #MeToo is a good idea.  So is Black Lives Matter.  Right now, both need to focus on the bigger picture or both will simply fail.

Eric the Green Wrote:Waiting for the right candidate, is not a regeneracy. Expecting perfection, and not uniting for change, is not a regeneracy. One election victory, followed by a winning candidate who is not supported, and abandoned by cynical people staying home in elections, is not a regeneracy. Waiting for others to act, will not bring the wave. A young generation that stays home during midterms is not a regeneracy. Millennials can discover their collective power and save democracy; it's their destiny as a civic generation. And prophets and prophet cuspers like Obama to back them up and help lead them is their destiny. It's up to all of us to bring it, and it's happening.

I have a lot of hope for the Millennials, who have already incorporated anti-racism and anti-sexism into their very beings.  They can join hands, ignore those battles (or do eye-rolls at their foolish elders for being the 'way they are'), and focus on the threats that need to be resolved.

Both the white working class advocates, and the social justice advocates, will need to see the bigger picture, in which the goals of both of these are closely linked and important.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts On Where We Are, and Where We're Going - by Eric the Green - 09-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on the mixed race, globalised world of the future Isoko 37 19,651 06-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Isoko
Smile My thoughts on the George Floyd protests Isoko 29 15,107 06-15-2020, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz