Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Hard Is It To Honor The Dead?
(08-29-2018, 09:38 AM)TheNomad Wrote: "Bad Behavior"... please help me, when I roam into this subject matter, words seem to no longer fit.  Descriptions become irrelevant.  From my POV, maybe I really want to know exactly my brain is doing, every adjective or hashtag needs another "notch".

Vindictive behavior that does not violate a criminal stature is bad behavior -- as are such deeds as adultery. We do not criminalize fornication that results in an unwelcome or surprising child -- probably because it is best that in most cases the child stay with the mother and that the father can be racked for child support.

I have never known of a President who has so vilified his predecessor Lincoln didn't blame Buchanan, and FDR didn't blame Hoover. That President Trump has spent considerable time vilifying Obama after such has become irrelevant shows how petty he is. But McCain? McCain was never a political rival.

Quote:Like turning the volume to 11?  You speak of pragmatism, I am... very much so.  Yet in this particular instance, my entire frame of vision wants hyperbole to match it.

Strictly speaking, the abuse that Trump has put upon John McCain is without merit and utterly absurd. But Trump has gone to that level. It's not criminal, though.

Quote:Plainly, "Bad Behavior" just doesn't fit?  Sure, it is accurate..... but not mmmmmmmmmmmmmm powerful enough?  Even "powerful" seems to be incorrect.  And this is not some thing about me wanting to kill the dead horse then resurrect it and repeat.  

Euphemism. I couldn't think of words more derogatory that fit the level of offense and affront unless they suggest criminality or something appropriate for a civil suit.

Quote:When I cannot find proper words, something is gravely wrong.  Lots of folks are using lots of strong language concerning this person and these times.  I feel like it is because there is something lacking in the way we are expressing (collectively) about this.  How can so many people be grappling for words in this manner?  Or trying so hard to express themselves about it with such frustration?  

What is the "finger" on?  As in, "can't put your finger on it".  What exactly are people reacting to?  TOXIC?  Ok.  That's pretty broad.  See what I mean?

This is new territory. One must have lived in another country to fully understand what is going on -- some country that lost its democracy through steady erosion.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
How Hard Is It To Honor The Dead? - by TheNomad - 08-29-2018, 05:31 AM
RE: How Hard Is It To Honor The Dead? - by pbrower2a - 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is classical music dead as a creative activity? pbrower2a 19 19,794 03-12-2021, 10:19 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a