Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did people live through the 4Ts without becoming misanthropic?
(01-05-2020, 12:09 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 06:51 PM)A spieMillennial Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 08:36 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: Not everyone in a 4T is evil.

No but most people in a 4T are evil. The new ideas I see coming within this 4T and the last are evil. My response to living through a 4T is to be angry at the world for forcing me to live in this era.

I despise the radical Greens, SJWs and neoreactionaries but I liked the futurist climate of the early 2010s especially the Pirate Parties though I can't help laughing at the name. No self-respecting person calls emself a pirate. The American Revolution was another good idea born during a 4T.
Quote:We are going to need some pragmatism to squelch fanaticism and promote compromise. If we are to have the sort of economy that can bring both prosperity and social justice, then we will need an economic basis in a strong economy. That is the social-market economy that taxes big and rewards people with what is really good for them, like high-quality education and solid medical care no matter what their means. We will need to level the unequal results between regions in America that we once glossed over when the American economy had plentiful industrial jobs in which anyone with a good work ethic and a suitable body could find work despite limited education. At one time the best career advice for many was to take "67" and "66", "51" and "66", "45" or "41" to Chicago or even "41" past Chicago to Milwaukee, "31" to South Bend, some combination of "27", "23", and "25" to Detroit or Flint, "21" to Cleveland, "19" to Pittsburgh or Erie or with "21" to Cleveland or "119" to Buffalo, "15" to Rochester, "11" to Syracuse... with the arguable exception of Pittsburgh such is now horrible advice, and not because the Interstates have supplanted some of those highways. Those are now poor destinations for people trying to improve their lives even if the drive is easier and safer. People should not have to spend 60% of their disposable income on rent because the many places in which such is unnecessary are economic wrecks. 

Our world is getting more complex, and we are going to have to be wiser with our earnings and our votes, so we are going to need more formal education, extending K-12 as a norm to K-14 just so that people can learn how to avoid getting exploited, becoming a public charge, or simply wasting time watching witless fare on the Idiot Screen.  

Quote:IMHO the 3T is most disgusting turning, as it's all about hedonism and nihilism.

Mindless hedonism... the latter part of a 3T, the part that I call the Degeneracy, is the one in which people sow the seeds of the 4T whirlwind. Capitalism without conscience, judgment without morality, politics without wisdom... note that the penultimate phase of the last three Crises (including this one) were the financial panics of 1857, 1929, and 2008. (Mindful hedonism might be something like binge-listening to Mozart's piano concertos, which won't hurt one). 

I would also add social myopia -- the lust in part for get-rich-quick-and-easy schemes that turn into get-ruined-quicker schemes. The cure is to look for the long term with low yields and much effort, and no graceful exit if something goes wrong. Those eventually pay off in the 1T, but the good habits well serve the 4T.   

pbrower2a Wrote:The best defense of Jews would have been for Jews to show that they were normal people, that they were not an organized conspiracy

To their credit Jews never resorted to a racist concept of nationhood. There are blonde Russian Jews and Black Ethiopian Jews, and I never saw them arguing about racial purity. Their concept of nationhood is more like a dynasty, sharing descent from common forefather Abraham. The far-right never understand this and continues to denounce "Jewish racism" which hardly ever existed.

I have been surprised at times to find that people who look much like me are Jewish. I come from an antisemitic family that taught me from childhood to beware the hooked nose and people talking through their noses, people of unrestrained greed and materialism. Then I find at some point that some very good people have hook noses through which they speak... and that the values that I cherish are compatible with Judaism. Culture? Classical music is largely kosher, so to speak. As for the pervasive greed and materialism, I found such neither dominant among Jews nor lacking among gentiles of all kinds. Jewish culture? It would fit me well.

Sometimes I wonder whether the Jews took in lots of orphans from the commonplace wars and persecutions... or abandoned children that a young woman could not admit to having. Albigensian crusades? Crackdown on Hussites? 

Maybe I should have been brought up Jewish. Then again, maybe I would be wondering what pork and shellfish have to offer as forbidden delights... on the other hand, Torah and Talmud study would be good preparation for law school. I love how Adam Schiff eviscerated Trump behavior, and (((Superman))) is by far the best legend created in American literature.  There are George Gershwin, Aaron Copland, and Irving Berlin; Scott Joplin was obviously not Jewish, but a Jew taught him some sophisticated counterpoint that gave coherence to his rags. 

Besides... there was nothing wrong with the German people between 1933 and 1945 that Judaism would not have solved. Think about it.  
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did people live through the 4Ts without becoming misanthropic? - by pbrower2a - 01-05-2020, 07:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "New York City to Involuntarily Remove Mentally Ill People From Streets" erdna3 4 896 12-05-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  What should people who hate their generation do? AspieMillennial 15 6,477 11-21-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  What will happen to people who rebel during the 1T disasterzone 29 28,969 11-29-2016, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Marypoza