The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Politiics -- what it means today and in the future.
Shocked 
We've talked all around the subject of the new politics, but haven't addressed it as such.  There's a lot to unwind here, so let's make a list, expand on it, and discuss as appropriate.  In no special order:
  • The end of the economy as we know it.  Whatever else we can say, it's now blatantly obvious that the economy is not going to return to anything resembling the form it held in the post-war era.  Sure, the titans of the universe swear that they're going to lead their economic behemoths in new more human friendly ways, but are they serious or simply cynical in the extreme.  In any case, how can they reverse the irreversible march toward automating away the productive work we all have assumed is the basis for a good and valuable life?
  • Populism and the new political alignments.  This is now a worldwide phenomenon, one that didn't really start in the US but is now driven by the Trump Presidency.  The realignment is in full force, and seems to be the Know Nothings versus the Know-It-Alls.  Is this even viable over more than the short term, with both groups encompassing widely diverse belief systems (moreso among the Know-It-Alls).  And what happens to the obvious disconnect between the 0.1% and the rest of us, if that group of rare-air breathers also splits between the camps?
  • Religion and tyranny. Here's a topic that still baffles me: how can the religiously committed be so firmly in the right-wing populist corner?  We've seen Trump, but what about other populists, like Bolsonaro in Brazil, Duterte in the Philippines or Erdogan in Turkey? How does the belief in feeding the hungry and lifting-up the poor align with autocrats and oligarchs?  Color me baffled.
  • The total lack of vision.  Without pushing this too far, I can't see any political person or group that has a real vision of a viable future and a plan to get there, no matter how flimsy.  Everything is reduced to the next election, in democratic countries, and to a new stasis in the autocratic ones.  It's as if nothing that is happening is expected to have any impact on politics.  Nothing!  Which brings me to my last topic for now
  • Rising war tensions and global climate change.  We all have been acting like these potentially society ending processes are either not happening at all, or are so easily managed that they can be ignored until some time in the not-too-immediate future.  This is irresponsible in the extreme, but voters seem totally disengaged.  Politicians that are engaged are marginalized.  Why?
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
The New Politiics -- what it means today and in the future. - by David Horn - 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The USA Today editorial board calls for Copmala Harris to oversee police reform Einzige 0 736 04-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Einzige
  Biden policy means higher oil prices: Goldman nclovers 23 4,360 02-06-2021, 10:27 PM
Last Post: random3
  Today in American capitalism Einzige 1 785 11-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  We All Lose: Obama’s Legacy and What It Means for a Trump Presidency nebraska 0 1,247 01-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Today’s Mainstream Conservatives Only Serve The Globalist Establishment nebraska 0 877 12-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  I Voted Today. Bad Dog 19 9,463 11-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  The Once and Future Trump Dan '82 0 1,030 09-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Dan '82