Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Pro-life"? It's about control of women.
(03-18-2020, 04:29 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: The consequences have been more severe for the woman (or girl, in case not an adult). She endures the pregnancy if there is one, and she gets to have the regrets in case she has an abortion, keeps the child only to raise it in abject poverty, or puts the child up for adoption. Abortion is rightly a moral issue and not one for the State to decide on her supposed behalf. 

If she does choose an abortion, then let it be safe and legal. This will be a tough philosophical decision almost invariably by someone who does not fully understand the realities of her choice.   

Yea, I'm certainly not saying pregnancy is easy, but still women today have the choice to bear it or not. its their responsibility at that point.

Quote: 
Not if she changes her mind after sex is initiated. She suddenly realizes that her fling is with a brute, a pervert, or a creep. What then does she do?

There are many laws on the books to protect women today from sex being forced on them. My understanding is that is woman always has the power to say "no stop" at any time, including once it has been initiated. The poor little dears don't want to accept responsibility to determining if a man is a creep before actually letting him enter her? Are you serious? Yes that is your right to say no at any time, but its also your responsibility to pre-screen who you sleep with!! If you didn't know he was a creep 2 seconds before starting sex, what makes you think you will suddenly know differently 5 seconds later? That is not a reasonable argument. Grow up and act like an adult! Women must accept responsibility for adult acts such as sex.

Quote:No fooling. Those who would outlaw abortion have not thought it through themselves. The debate on abortion is full of righteous indignation to a far greater extent than of philosophical inquiry. Women in similar circumstances with the same choice could make three different, stark choices.

This is why I'm totally on the fence about it. I don't belong to any religion and have no religious belief system clogging my brain. There are pragmatic reasons that make it sensible for society to allow it. However, on the other hand, we live in a country that believes in human rights...so taking away or disregarding entirely the human rights of unborn babies is a very slippery slope. I will not argue strongly either side of the argument. What I am arguing now is the assertion made that Pro-lifers are trying to control women. That is patently false. Pro-Choicers are trying to control men!

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Pro-life"? It's about control of women. - by Dewdman42 - 03-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Advanced Role of Modern Women Has Not Made Them Happier beechnut79 3 1,811 09-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund