The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: Typical Silent book
Recently I read this book (should've done earlier). The author's indeed a Silent, and I found many bits that fit the typical Silent personality.

- His son (*1957, hence a young Boomer) never gets strict orders, and throws tantrums - apparently because he prefers a father who slaps him to a father who never, ever makes any rule. Of course, the father / author doesn't get that.
- Both the author and his friend seem to have trouble in their marriage.

- The friend is completely unable to repair stuff in his house - for no apparent reason, he's just neurotic like that.
- The author even had to undergo psychiatric treatment, which involved electroshock therapy.
- He finds that repair workshops have detoriated: In the past, mechanics were old men who really knew their shit (Lost!); but in recent years, they're young folks who spend all the time listening to music during "work" and always seem misplaced in the workshops (young Silents or old Boomers).

- Later in the book, he actually finds an old mechanic like that (who might be seventy already), i.e. a Lost, who fixes his problem easily for a small price.
- He is artistically inclined, of course.
- He is so learned he even scares a professor in college.
- He doubts everything - even the fact that everything's either matter or spirit.

Oh, and while the author's definitely a Silent, the book's seen as a typical Boomer book today, what with the "generation of 1968" and the "Easy Rider" feeling. Not the only time Boomers stole Silent stuff and claimed it for themselves.

Messages In This Thread
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: Typical Silent book - by Hintergrund - 10-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Modern Art is Sh*t Kinser79 33 29,569 01-14-2020, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
Video Modern art is garbage...looks like someone else agrees with me. Kinser79 0 1,974 08-31-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Kinser79