Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End of Work, and therefore of "less government" memes
(01-03-2017, 11:08 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
Quote:excerpted from Eric the Green

And don’t tell me that raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour solves the problem. No one can doubt the moral significance of the movement. But at this rate of pay, even at 40 hours a week — an unlikely amount in fast-food franchises — you’re still at that official poverty line. What, exactly, is the point of earning a paycheck that isn’t a living wage, except to prove that you have a work ethic?

Let's see:  $15/hour x 40 hours/week x 50 weeks/year = $30,000/year.  Federal poverty level for a single individual, 2016:  $11,880.  You could earn $10/hour and work 25 hours/week and still be above poverty level.

All this column proves is that PBS writers can't do simple arithmetic.

I would imagine that PBS is assuming a household size of 4, which is probably too high.  However, while a single person might be able to stay above poverty at a low-wage job, if you add a child or two to the mix, you sink under the poverty line.  And many people working at Mickey D today, unlike during your or my day, are trying to support a family.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The End of Work, and therefore of "less government" memes - by The Wonkette - 01-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here is an example of how government creates problems. Galen 24 22,478 05-24-2017, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Galen