Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And I put my head down and work. (a millenial's perspective)
(05-19-2020, 08:25 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: "Human rights and democracy" are US bullshit slogans to cover for taking other nations' stuff.

My father was a great fan of Smedley Butler.  (No relation.)  He was a great war hero of the late Gilded Age, who later wrote the book "War is a Racket" to condemn how much corporations used the military to get a profit, especially in Central America and China.  Let's just say your opinion is not new and I agree with it.

Still, some believe in it honestly.  In Bush 43's war there were at least three factions with conflicting ideologies and objectives.  The Neo Cons wanted to prove we could go in, kick butt, and get out.  The oil faction wanted to go in and take permanent control of the infrastructure for profit.  And some actually believed the talk about the superior culture, that the locals would ignore the Neo Cons rolling up the kill count against innocents, or the oil schemes that ignored the deals which Saddam had already made with Russia and France.

The big problem was that Bush 43 could never seem to get the three factions on the same page.

But, again, I agree with you generally, especially in conservative administrations.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: And I put my head down and work. (a millenial's perspective) - by Bob Butler 54 - 05-22-2020, 05:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time To Put The Electoral College "On Ice" Anthony '58 4 2,013 07-27-2021, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Is it Time to Decriminalize Sex Work beechnut79 9 6,241 07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund