Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The cancer infecting the political Left
(07-25-2020, 08:33 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I am all with the essential workers, the doctors, the nurses, the grocery retailers, etc…. Now more than ever we need them.  But they have to be responsible.  The grocery retailer who does not wear a mask for her own comfort, who does not clean her store, who goes short on her work selfishly and puts others at a deadly risk is no hero.

I also believe in the general principle of insurance.  For years I had health care as a benefit of my job and never had to use it.  The gross big deal was spraining my knee playing ultimate frisbee and limping around on crutches for a while.  Recently I had the brain tumor and became handicapped.  I didn’t whine in my early working years, and I don’t whine now.  In both cases, I had made sure I had coverage and the coverage came through.

I don’t see that as selfishness.  I see insurance or some sort of coverage tor problems as a feature, not a bug.  If someone believes in individual responsibility and wants to pay for his own accidents or illness, that might be acceptable, but if so he shouldn’t go whining and complaining if he stumbles into a hardship.  You can’t fail to pay into the system then expect that system to save you.  

The horror story is the guy who has no insurance and whose child coms up with some expensive condition.  He winds up bankrupt, loosing everything.  A person forced into taking such a risk is not fine and dandy to me.

Government has a problem in being expected to be responsible but at the same time giving no one the option of whether or not to pay for that assurance.  I know the UN declaration of human rights includes health care as one of those rights, but that is not so in the US.

Additionally, all men are created equal.  I don’t see California above Massachusetts or some random rural state.  That is the sort of way you think.  And you know what state is the biggest agricultural producer?  California.
I don't need Trump as much as you need Biden. I see that you support all the essential workers that you need to survive but what about all the other essential workers who need each other to survive. Have you forgotten about all of them or don't they matter as much to you right now. I don't know an American worker who is not essential. Back in the day, I took a voluntary layoff so a fellow family man could remain working full time. Well, we may all be born equals but we don't all remain or end up as equals. The world seem to be separating between the equals and non equals, the have and have nots, the cavaliers and the city on the hills, the workers and the non workers and so forth.

Yes. I saw one nasty softball related accident involving an uninsured softball player that caused a serious brain injury in twelve years of playing softball one or two nights a week and playing on weekends in tournaments. Like you, I got injured playing softball and suffered from a nagging lower back injury for a couple years. I hung up my softball cleats during my mid thirties. I would have had to adjust my style of play to continue playing which would have taken the fun out of the game for me anyway. So, I hung them up and moved on to other interests. Like you, I had work related health insurance provided by an employer. Later on, I had work related insurance associated with my business for it's employees that the full sum came out of my paycheck. Full sum, as in the full amount to cover the cost of insuring me, wife and child.

I see two dominant Liberal cultures or blue regions. I'm sorry but there isn't enough Liberal's in Minnesota to win a battle with the right libertarians and conservatives. Right now, Minneapolis is going to shit and  we have Minneapolis people telling us we have to do something about all the homeless living in its parks who are dangerous and scaring locals who live in good neighborhoods. You're lucky, you live in the Liberal region that has more historical significance to Americans than the West Coast. I suspect, the farmers in California will opt to remain with America and put in a request for American troops to come in and help them defend their areas.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The cancer infecting the political Left - by Classic-Xer - 07-25-2020, 11:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catalist: findings on age-cohorts and political activity pbrower2a 1 361 05-20-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The new political narrative Eric the Green 10 2,535 08-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Rep. Dan Crenshaw irks both the left and right with gun comments random3 0 650 02-05-2021, 04:03 AM
Last Post: random3
  Bread and Circuses with California’s Political Hypocrisy SusanSusan 0 737 02-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Last Post: SusanSusan
  The Green New Deal is a left-capitalist fraud Einzige 0 648 01-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Einzige
  Will a nationalist/cosmopolitan divide be the political axis of the coming saeculum? Einzige 66 46,382 03-21-2020, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz
Smile Treason's Just A Word For Nothing Left To Lose... Bad Dog 4 3,322 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  New York bill would ban anonymous political ads on Facebook nebraska 0 1,226 01-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Critique Left X_4AD_84 6 6,367 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  Study: Political Polarization is Mainly a Right-Wing Phenomenon Odin 0 1,477 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Odin