Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Counterculture created the Reagan Revolution
(07-30-2020, 07:04 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: In the counter-culture, the human potential movement, the new age movement, and other fields, it was said by one of its practitioners that we were now going to discover what it fully means to be a human being. It was THAT significant.

For a tiny percentage of the hippies, the counterculture was a true epiphany. Most are still out there somewhere. We have a sizable colony not far from where I live, but that is equally true of the place I was born and grew up. Neither movement have had true lasting impact on the grand scale. Both contribute something of worth.

Eric the Green Wrote:So did this cause Reaganomics? Really? I hardly think so.

It did unleash human self-empowerment, which Reaganoids co-opted and appealed to in a totally fraudulent way. It's not the new culture's fault that many people were fooled by the charming faux-macho actor. But the counter-culture itself was also collectivist and, yes, not so different from the authentic Marxism Einzige describes, except that it correctly realizes that no just, equal, workable society can ever be built unless there's an enlightened spirit among us that reveals to us the miracle and divinity of humanity, and all of life and being, and which liberates us from our own personal reactive fears, greeds and indulgences. Human society will always be composed of flawed human beings. But the dawn of a new society depends on renewal among humans, always and forever. May human potential continue to unfold and transcend more of its flaws. There's something in the air! The revolution's here. And you know it's right. And you know that it's right. We have got to get it together. May the spirit of the sixties be kept alive!

The '60s are now solidly in the rear view mirror. There will always be an echo, but there will not be the sound of trumpets blaring until the next time a spiritual awakening occurs. When it does, it will only touch those open to it -- just like all the previous ones.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How the Counterculture created the Reagan Revolution - by David Horn - 08-02-2020, 06:37 AM