Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma
(09-26-2017, 09:58 AM)David Horn Wrote: Just a cautionary note: the most strident advocates of Single Payer live in urban areas, and they have the least effective clout in our government.  Here's a good reason why.

Without dismissing the warning, there are other things that make it difficult.

Nothing is going anywhere without Trump going along. The veto is that potent a tool. I spect that much of Trump is a Democrat at heart, but this would be really disappointing to much of the base that gave him power.

The Republican offerings thus far cover fewer people less well at greater expense. Despite their promises and technical majorities, they haven't been able to do that.

The switch over from Obamacare to Single Payer has hope of hope of improvement, but comes with no guarantees.

I'd like to see single payer come to a vote, but I don't expect anything until at least the 2018 elections. Meanwhile, I'll feel better come October's deadline.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progressives worry about lobbying, corporate ties in Biden administration chairb 0 596 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: chairb
  The stench of moral decay, especially in politics, is creeping across America msel 35 9,250 03-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: newvoter
  World wonders if Trump is eroding US 'moral authority' nebraska 0 1,301 01-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Handicapped parking cheats will face stiffer penalties in Mass. nebraska 0 1,050 12-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Last Post: nebraska