Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Apologize to My Fellow Americans
(01-27-2017, 05:36 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: I don't view the evil/ignorant ones (the KKK, neo Nazi's, white supremacists) as being much of a threat to us today. America defeated the Nazi's in World War II. America defeated White Supremacy in the American Civil War. Yes, they can be dangerous as we have seen recently and they can be a social menace as we have seen here but they aren't a major threat to America. BTW, America is a collective too. What the Trump election told me was that hard core America is big and powerful. Blue America should be concerned because it means the time of silly political games and self centered politics (identity politics/ greedy self serving politicians) is/should be over.

You are touching on one aspect of what I call the 'arrow of progress.'  Those favoring the superiority of the whites and maintaining their superior place are of questionable merit.  Those seeking equality for minorities by race, culture and gender are winning a very slow and intermittent victory.  In general, yes, equality has in the long run been making advances over supremacists.

I find myself amused that you can flip it over in your mind, calling the supremacists 'core America' while those working towards equality have been mislabeled as pursing 'identity politics'.  My thought is that those favoring equality went a little too far too fast with a black president, pressure to ban official use of Confederate symbols, efforts on behalf of latinos, muslims and other cultures currently the victims of the supremacists, and attempts to mainline non-traditional gender partnerships.  The supremacists have recently seen too much progress towards equality.  They are ticked off at the moment.  There is a supremacist backlash in progress.  This happens from time to time in America.  Work towards equality will be at a pause for a time.  While I find this offensive, I do not believe the current backlash will continue indefinitely.  After a time of ugliness, work towards equality will resume.

I tend to agree that the ever changing balance between the supremacists and those pursing equality is not a major threat to America.  The current conflicts will not match the intensity of the Civil War, Jim Crow or the mid 20th Century civil rights movement.  The ebb and flow of prejudice has been part of our history, be it an ugly unnecessary part.  It has not gone away, and will only go away with much time and much effort.

I can also second a disapproval of self serving politicians.  I just don't see either faction as having a monopoly on them.  I would as soon focus more on draining the swamp,  less less on equality / supremacy, at least for the moment.  Those favoring equality have had major victories recently, and will have to endure the backlash.  Alas, focusing on draining the swamp doesn't seem to be in the interests of those who prefer living in swamps.  I anticipate continued effort towards fanning the flames of prejudice.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
I Apologize to My Fellow Americans - by X_4AD_84 - 01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: I Apologize to My Fellow Americans - by Odin - 05-23-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: I Apologize to My Fellow Americans - by Odin - 05-24-2017, 06:41 AM
RE: I Apologize to My Fellow Americans - by Galen - 05-25-2017, 03:07 AM
RE: I Apologize to My Fellow Americans - by Odin - 05-24-2017, 05:55 PM
RE: I Apologize to My Fellow Americans - by Odin - 05-25-2017, 06:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CNN Poll: Most Americans feel democracy is under attack in the US chairb 0 619 10-20-2021, 10:42 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,156 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  1 in 5 Americans have confidence Biden can unite the country: poll Kate1999 8 2,315 03-11-2021, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden Briefed After 5 Americans Injured In Iraq Rocket Attack newvoter 0 731 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Americans Remain Eligible for Targeted Killing, White House Clarifies nebraska 0 1,186 01-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Rep. Justin Amash loses fights to limit government spying on Americans nebraska 0 900 01-12-2018, 10:39 PM
  Report: Americans view Trump White House as the most corrupt government institution nebraska 0 1,126 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM
  Americans pessimistic about Trump, country: AP-NORC Poll nebraska 0 1,144 01-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  Americans Remain Eligible for Targeted Killing, White House Clarifies nebraska 0 1,064 12-27-2017, 04:01 AM
  Americans and business being driven away by taxes, regulations nebraska 0 1,074 12-25-2017, 09:07 PM