Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the last 4T have so much better music than this 4T?
(03-08-2017, 12:45 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: I would say it depends on what you're listening to. If you're listening to underground rock, underground hip hop/reggaeton there is a lot of good music out there.
I think you're pretty much hitting it on the head. I think we're seeing a combination of lowest common denominator based corporatism combined with technology changes that make it difficult to quantify music culture.

It used to be that (commercial) radio and physical music stores worked hand in hand and the offerings of both were representative of the current musical culture. Not so much today. Commercial radio has been effectively killed by syndication and even "rock" stations play the same old songs from days of lore while playing virtually nothing new and this is obviously some sort of market driven economic force. I suspect that it is in part an artificial effect caused by groups like the "record labels" and the RIAA and a fight over royalties.

So more and more people move away from corporate radio. I myself, listen to more music than I have in previous years, but it is largely foreign in origin. I find that I particularly like Gothic / Symphonic metal which is heavily dominated by the Scandinavian countries today. I listen to virtually nothing that is American. My sources include purchasing MP3 'albums' and online streaming from various sources rather than physical media.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did the last 4T have so much better music than this 4T? - by noway2 - 03-08-2017, 04:07 PM