Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which founding father are you most like?
(03-09-2017, 04:27 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-09-2017, 08:58 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(03-09-2017, 07:38 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: 23andMe? Not yet. I have traced my genealogy, and as a general rule anyone who can trace ancestors back to early English  settlers in New England (Puritans) is descended from nobility. That nobility includes French, Spanish, Portuguese, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Greek (Byzantine), Russian, Serb, Bulgarian,  and Czech ancestors in a sort of interlocking directorate. Track the Spanish and you find Basques, Arabs, and Goths. Track the Byzantines and you find Armenians and Georgians. Track the English aristocracy far enough back and you find the Norse, including the Scandinavian-descended Normans. Track the Hungarians and you find Pechenegs (a/k/a Patzinaks and Polovtsy). About all that I can find out about the these people is that the composer Alexander Borodin ascribed to them some wonderful music in his opera Prince Igor.  The Rus who gave their name to Russia were Scandinavians.

Portuguese kings were really French.

I am surprised to find no Persians, Romanians, or Lithuanians. I did find that I am very distantly related to Count Dracula, not that I want that connection. Any connection that I have to Austria is thin (surprising in view of my musical tastes).

Uh, I seem to be more of a humble heritage.  The British lineage is just the Southern Scottish/Welsh sort. Also, the Wilson/Johnson lineage with the -son part is Viking on both sides. That would be the Mc- Scottish stuff. The Viking lineage is pretty recent, like 2nd generational on both sides. So , basically, as far as Europe, I'm a tacky warrior/(Mcrae)/Viking(all else). Big Grin The Brown , Welsh, are were coal miners. So... I have no nobility, but rather [Mcrae, warriors] for clan McDonald, Viking? Need I say more? Welsh, the coal miners. As for Cherokee/Arab, those are just extras , as per 23andme.  I do, agree, that the Rus, Viking lineage is for Russia. That's the path to the Mideast. It is for that reason, I have Arab lineage. I can even locate, the pick of Swedes (Svear) traded with folks in Baghdad. The X chromosome is purely Swedish.

Rags - A simple man. Cool

One of my tippy top pieces of music (the Rus classic, that is!). Start the great second half here! https://youtu.be/xLMbf7E5Uxo?t=5m49s

The sons and the Mcs and the Welsh/Scottish in your ancestry would be Celtic rather than British, most likely; although things get mixed. 

The vast Montgomery line of which I partake descends from a norse noble warrior named Gomer who built a fort on a mountain in Normandy; whose sons and grandsons then invaded England along with William and split into 3 branches, one of which moved to Ireland, where I too am descended from a McDonald clan, one of whom married my Gr Gr Gr grandfather, a full "Monty" of some kind, and came to America.

If you want to know why the oppressive order of feudalism did not lead to mass uprisings -- populations were small, and the feudal lord was usually somehow related to the serf. People didn't get around much, so figure that about everyone on a manor was about a fourth cousin or so. Primogeniture ensured that there would not be too many lords.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which founding father are you most like? - by pbrower2a - 03-09-2017, 09:09 PM