The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generation X as risk-takers
[Image: quote_icon.png] Originally Posted by HopefulCynic68 [Image: viewpost-right.png]
I remember a radio commentator saying a couple of years ago (in context of a discussion of evaluating risks) that the Crocodile Hunter would eventually lose if he kept gambling. Ironically, this doesn't even appear to have been a high risk sort of thing, or at least no more than most diving.

[Image: irwinfamily_wideweb__470x379,0.jpg]

When I look at this picture, part of me finds myself wondering if he himself fully grasped the risks he was taking in his life.
Belated but I think germane:

He understood the risks. He knew how to tease a crocodile and get away with it; he knew that once on land he could outrun them. He would never have teased a bear, big cat, wolf, or even a dog (including the Australian dingo) in the same way. Anyone who teases even a well-behaved golden retriever as Steve Irwin teased crocodiles had better have good medical coverage -- including psychiatric care. You can't outrun a dog.

That wasn't a particularly big crocodile (it may have been the less dangerous freshwater crocodile), and surely nobody better knew croc behavior than did Steve Irwin. That said, he was as much an athlete as a showman and a biologist, and he would have had to have retired from his more daring deeds as his athleticism began to fail him. Reflexes and foot speed typically slow drastically in one's forties, which explains why one sees few major-league athletes in their mid-forties. Irwin was close to having to retire from his way of doing things because of the natural and predictable decline of his athleticism.

Crocodiles and alligators are ambush hunters that capture unwary prey typically at the water's edge, where the lurking reptile has all the advantages
against a mammal in the awkward position of drinking water, taking an unwise excursion into the water, or flying low (bats; this also applies to birds).

Like most Reactive adventurers, Steve Irwin was approaching the age at which he had to give up measured daring for caution. Reactives typically leave the adventures for those that they have groomed -- or get killed.
Quote:Last edited by pbrower2a; 12-08-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: addition
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Generation X as risk-takers - by pbrower2a - 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by TheNomad - 07-21-2018, 03:08 AM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by pbrower2a - 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by pbrower2a - 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by Hintergrund - 08-14-2019, 07:38 AM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by pbrower2a - 08-16-2019, 11:42 PM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by Hintergrund - 08-19-2019, 07:54 PM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by David Horn - 08-20-2019, 02:28 PM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by Hintergrund - 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM
RE: Generation X as risk-takers - by pbrower2a - 08-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generation X reshaping global politics Captain Genet 10 4,827 11-20-2021, 12:01 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  The Generation with No Disney Princess GeekyCynic 5 7,941 12-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Last Post: AarG
  Generation X at the Turning Point sbarrera 0 2,151 10-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Last Post: sbarrera