Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Malls and the Generational Cycle
(01-03-2017, 09:03 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 07:33 AM)Mikebert Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 07:29 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: I would be in favor of a form of this that would not force small online retailers out of business due to excessive regulatory requirements to handle complex state specific sales tax rules.
I don't see how this is an issue.  Software that does this must already exist. We have mapping programs and tax prep programs that deal with problems a hundred times more complex that this.  Very small businesses would just buy a commercial package just like millions of Americans do for their tax prep.

Have you tried buying tax software for small businesses?  The market is orders of magnitude smaller than for individual tax software, and as a result the costs are much higher and availability is much more limited.  When I looked into this just for Massachusetts, the all up cost was going to be in the thousands; multiply that by 50 and the cost really adds up for a mom and pop type business, not to mention several hours filling things out for each state, possibly days when you include researching the rules, all also multiplied by 50.

Permitting state sales taxes on online businesses would be an exercise of the federal government's powers to regulate interstate commerce already; I don't see what the big deal would be for the federal government to prescribe uniform rules for such taxes along the lines I suggest.

I have to agree with Mike on this.  What problem do you have that requires expensive software?  Try this list for most accounting needs.  Most Intuit SW is very reasonable.  They even have a QuickBooks for Self Employed. 

Of course, a business of larger size needs the services of a CPA.  To do otherwise is foolish.  I know this from personal experience.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Before this gets blamed on Trump....... - by David Horn - 01-03-2017, 12:51 PM