Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(11-05-2016, 01:47 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 01:31 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 12:28 AM)taramarie Wrote: Has news in America always been like this? Always biased one way or another I mean.

It has always been biased, including the during the days of Cronkite back when I was very young.  There were only three major TV networks and they all pretty much sounded the same.  The newspapers, while more decentralized in many respects, got most of their national and international stories from UP or AP wire services just as they do now.  This is why the US probably had about as unified of a culture as it ever would through most of the last century.  That consensus started breaking down in the nineties and that trend has accelerated with the recession of 2008 and the lack of a real recovery, particularly in what is known as flyover country.

The situation with the advent of the internet is more like that of the nineteenth century and its many regional cultures.  I really don't see the US surviving in its current form due to this and the continuing economic stress due to the government living beyond its means.   In an effort to maintain the status quo it looks as if both wings of the same party, known to most people as Democrats and Republicans, have decided that war is necessary.  This is why much of the rhetoric about Russia sounds so much the like Cold War that I remember and prefer not to live through again.

To get a feel for the mood and the absurdity of it I would recommend watching Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.  I would also spend some time and get familiar with Russian history because Putin's behavior in response to the US driving NATO right up to their border will make much more sense.
That makes sense regarding consensus breaking apart in the 90s given what I am watching atm about fox news pushing a right wing agenda starting late 80s thanks to a Murdoch spokesperson. I would love it if there was a video on the evolution of this unraveling on the left side too. Would be the same story I imagine but I wonder who are the people who own the left wing propaganda media? Anyway this is all fascinating given I have never felt this here in my own country. I know what the left wing/right wing stand for and also those sort of in the middle like NZ First and I have never felt that they actually influence the media. Certainly not in the idealistic way that America does. I would say they comment on what goes on and are more down to earth here. Different culture. I have to wonder what makes America more prone to propaganda when compared to some places. Note I say some because propaganda is a global epidemic. It is just more in your face in America. Thanks for the recommendations. I will look it up.

With the exception of Fox and much of talk radio most media in the US has a bias towards the left and thus tends to support the Democrats.  Look at the Podesta e-mails from Wikileaks to get an idea of how much collusion there is currently between the media and the Clinton campaign.  The joke here in the US is that CNN stands for Clinton News Network.  Keep in mind that I have as little use for Fox for similar reasons.

I would also remind you that if Americans were that vulnerable to propaganda Trump would never have got this far because the establishment of both the Democrat and Republican parties hate him.  I would also recommend that you check out the Podesta e-mails regarding polling because I think you will find them revealing.  What I find remarkable is the level of media bias against Trump.  I have never seen the mainstream media ever this openly biased against a candidate before and I think that it is pissing people off.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is working in favor of Trump.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,931 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,579 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,894 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,239 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,655 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,005 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green