Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(11-06-2016, 12:21 AM)Galen Wrote: I am simply pointing out that you missed a very important part of what I wrote.  I was referring to something from a very specific time that has evolved over the years that I don't approve of.  If you took the time to notice you would realize I said nothing about Christianity or Buddhism.  What came of the the sixties and evolved into the New Age movement was very selective about what it took from Eastern mysticism.

We may just have different notions of what the "New Age" movements are.  If I cared to pursue this, I'd strive to establish how I use the phrase, how you use the phrase, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort.  I just figured if you are using Eric as a typical member of the New Age movement, if all New Agers are just like Eric, the New Age movement takes an awful lot from Eastern mysticism.

(11-06-2016, 12:21 AM)Galen Wrote: Red and Blue Boomers suffer from the same problem.  They believe that they are right and everyone else should bow down before them and are equally clueless.  From my point of view they are the same problem with different goals.

I see the problem as being red / blue, not generational.  It's not like we have a generation gap similar to what we had in the awakening.  The election is between two old fogies.  It's not old verses new, not age versus youth.  It's about issues, and there are folk in all generations on both sides of the divide.

I do see the generations as having different styles of communication, different ways to make an argument.  Yes, the boomers have a tendency to argue from ideals.  Xers tend to be cynical.  Most Millenials seem earnest, but to this point are focused more on coping with the way things are than changing the ways things are.  These tendencies are real and make working together difficult, but they are not the core of the problems to be solved.  They are distractions.  Too many folks who hate this generation or that are expending lots of energy to no good purpose.  To me, it should be about the issues, not how the issues are communicated.

In Theory, there should be a synergetic alignment of generations.  The idealistic elders set worthy goals and inspire.  The practical hard edged middle management finds a way to make it work.  The energetic team playing youngsters work to create a better tomorrow.  So far, it isn't happening.  So long as the generations distrust, dislike and skirmish with each other, it isn't apt to happen.

(11-06-2016, 12:21 AM)Galen Wrote: Trump is simply a reaction to the status quo as it has existed for some time.  He is simply a big middle finger to the elites in the US.  Given the fact that we appear to be halfway through the current fourth turning I expected someone who was a departure from politics as usual to show up.  The fact that it was Trump was a bit of a surprise to me.  Truth is, he had a good life and is risking it all on his presidential run.  If he loses, the elites will go after him with a vengeance.  I wouldn't have expected him to take that kind of risk since, contrary to popular belief, he isn't idiot and would have to be aware of such consequences.

Trump's life has been a series of ego trips.  His presidential run seems to be one last grand finale ego trip.  From that point of view, his risk, if he risked anything, has paid off.  He is on center stage with all eyes on him.  If he loses, if the elites go after him, he gets to play martyr, whine triumphantly on Trump TV, and stay in the public view.  This is still a win for a narcissist.  His post election loss life will still be better than hosting a reality TV show.

Yes, in a 4T there ought to be a transforming set of political ideas pushed by transforming politicians.  I wasn't expecting Trump either.  However, I don't see Trump as truly transforming.  He is going after the most archaic faction of the Republican base, pushing Reagan's trickle down economics and Nixon's southern strategy.  There is little new save trying to persuade Mexico to build a wall.  I personally don't like trickle down as it failed badly for both Bushes, nor the southern strategy as I'm not into racism.

Yes.  We need something new, but as long as the Republicans in congress have a filibuster, we're not going to move past the unravelling stalemate.  A lot of people have been sold on low taxes and small government, have been for years.  Borrow and spend trickle down is not change.  That is the way of continuing the unravelling forever.  Bringing racism and sexism out in the open again is change of sorts, but not the sort of change I favor.  Hatred alone won't make for a successful 4T.

I'd have been happier with Bernie than Hillary, but while the Republicans have a filibuster, it doesn't make much of a difference.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 123,094 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,580 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,618 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,895 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,832 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,244 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,656 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,030 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green