Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(11-06-2016, 08:52 PM)playwrite Wrote: But they are hurting others, 10s of millions of others, and they will continue to do so.  The fact that the majority of them are also hurting themselves doesn't make it okay.

Anyone still wasting their time and energy trying to convince them or compromise with them is living in an alternative universe.  They cannot be helped until they are completely and unequivocally defeated. It's no different than 1860.

By 1860, the country was pretty much on the path to all out Civil War.  To me, it is not at all clear this is the case now.

There are disconnects of alternate realities.  Abe Lincon said he did not want to see slavery expand would allow it to continue where it exists, but the southern politicians said he was out to destroy slavery.  Hillary is saying she is in favor of closing gun show loopholes, but Trump says she is out to destroy the 2nd Amendment.  These are just blatant examples of the common practice of totally distorting the other side's position and misleading one's base.  As long as this continues, we're going to be divided and dysfunctional.

If Trump wins, trickle down borrow and spend is going to destroy the economy again, resulting in the Democrats taking over in 4 to 8 years to put the nation back on its feet again.  Eventually, will the middle of the country figure it out?

If Hillary wins, I don't know what becomes of the Republicans.  I can see Faux News and Trump TV selling different sets of excuses, playing the blame game to the hilt, and fighting a battle to establish what the primary conservative platform will be.  Did they lose because of tepid backing of Trump by the Republican establishment, because the system is rigged, or because Trump is a flawed candidate?  Other?  All of the above?  What is the vision going forward?  Does the party need to move beyond trickle down borrow and spend?  Should the southern strategy be played subtly, blatantly or abandoned?

Supposing Trump wins and is as bad at running the country as he is at running businesses, are there enough relatively sane Republicans in Congress to join the Democrats to institute a system of damage control?  How many congressional Republicans will put the good of the country ahead of the success of a Trump presidency that will redefine the meaning of what it is to be conservative and Republican?

However the election turns out, at least one month following the election will involve radical transformation of one or both parties.  I'm not at all sure how it will settle out.

As I said in another recent post, I don't see Trump as a transforming Grey Champion sort who will lead our culture into a new age.  Trump is pushing trickle down borrow and spend plus the southern strategy.  That won't transform anything.  That's the unravelling continued.  

Should Hillary get in, I don't know how far she can get if the Republicans have enough people in Congress to filibuster.  I know she is persistent and able to propose solid policy, but she has been so poisoned by decades of vile propaganda that I anticipate as stubborn an obstruction of the first female president as we had with the first minority president.  The deplorable aspect of the Republican base won't reelect anyone who doesn't go all out obstructionist, and the deplorable wing seems to control the primaries.

The cleanest path to a true transformation might be a damage control alliance of most congressional Democrats and any hypothetical Republicans that care more for their country than they care for Trump.  Whomever makes that alliance work might write the transforming policies and be nominated for president and Grey Champion.

Or if there are not enough sane Republicans, the Democrats have been taught over the last eight years how to filibuster and frustrate a president.  If the Republicans can filibuster and frustrate Hillary, could and would the Democrats filibuster and frustrate The Donald?

Or none of the above.  I don't pretend to be dead sure of what comes next.  I just don't see 1860 as the only possible template.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 123,100 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,580 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,619 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,896 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,832 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,246 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,657 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,031 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green