Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(07-05-2016, 08:09 PM)Dan Wrote:

I haven't pretended to understand Trump.  I've not been pleased with his way of handling people, nor his understanding of foreign policy.

But he actually got it sort of kind of right.  The Middle East still has strong elements of Agricultural Age values floating around.  In the time before democracy, the times of peace and plenty are the times when strong leaders (Fill-In-The-Blank the Great) crushed everyone else around them.  They were so strong and so willing to use that strength that folks followed their lead and dared not rebel.

Your typical westerner, seeing Stalin, Saddam, Assad or ISIS using this approach to government is instinctively appalled.  We're apt to react with words and phrases like 'terrorist', 'state sponsored terror' and 'crimes against humanity'.   We've been rebelling against the Stalin - Saddam - ISIS style of government by atrocity for a while.  In the distant past, during our Dark and Middle Ages, we experienced and endured it to various degrees.  We've learned how to recognize it and our values suggest it ought to be quashed firmly and often.

The difference is that when one lives in a culture that has always clung to the Agricultural Age pattern, state sponsored terror is the primary example of successful government.  The time of peace and plenty is the time when no one dares draw the attention of the Saddam - Stalin - Assad style strong and ruthless leader.

I'll even acknowledge that Cynic Hero as well as Trump has some aspects of the old way of thinking right.  A return to Agricultural Age values, where human rights and soft love-thy-neighbor values are replaced by ruthless application of brutal force is a plausible path that worked for lots of cultures over a long period of time.

But I'm stuck in my partisan Western value system.  Authoritarian terrorist autocratic government ought to become a thing of the past. 

Now, on Trump's behalf, if one can follow the above 'logic', you can say he might understand the Middle East better than a lot of folks immersed in Western Values.

On the other hand, the last thing we need is a President of the United States who would want to put an Agricultural Age state terror foreign policy into practice.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by Bob Butler 54 - 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,957 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,579 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,895 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,240 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,656 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,012 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green