Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(01-19-2020, 07:18 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 06:07 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: As I see it, Senate Republicans have their own agenda possible only with a filibuster-proof Senate, a new GOP majority in the House: privatization of infrastructure to profit-gouging monopolists, destruction of unions, exemptions of the super-rich from taxation, maybe some wars for profit, and subordination of what remains of the public sector to an authoritarian GOP.

Give me that, and I am ready to drink the hemlock, for I will have little left for which to live. Life is responsibility without reward under  a plutocratic tyranny that has consolidated itself for a time longer than any reasonable expectation of my remaining lifespan, a privilege unworthy of the effort to earn and keep.

I do not trust the current GOP even with basic human rights, let alone with any economic decency.

As I see it, the flip flop will flip long before they achieve the above.  The Republican base is still looking for someone who can make the unravelling agenda work.  They have figured out the the Establishment Republicans are to tightly tied to the elites to do it.  Thus, no need for hemlock.

But Bush 43 and Trump failed so spectacularly that the progressive agenda just might be able to sustain things.  We will see.

But I do not disagree with your evaluation of what the Republican Establishment would try to do.  It is just hard to fool all of the people, all of the time.

Trying to preserve an Unraveling agenda (especially of the Degeneracy phase) into a Crisis Era is as ineffective as trying to promote Awakening style in an Unraveling Era, mindless conformity of the High pattern into an Awakening, or apocalyptic hatred of a Crisis  into a High. Just think of what a disaster we would have had had Americans decided to let the Soviet Union squeeze West Berlin because of what Germans had recently done. 

Howe and Strauss called behavior from the previous era 'post-seasonal', which would be like planting corn crops in the summer or like wearing swim trunks for a dip in the old swimming hole in November in a Dfa climate (fire and ice as in Chicago). We had a thoroughly-rotten (and truly degenerate) last half of the recent Unraveling, and we are best off to avoid another such time ever, although the cycle suggests a reprise of such in the 2080's, complete with another speculative boom that devours wealth while creating garish displays of fake prosperity.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by pbrower2a - 01-19-2020, 09:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,895 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,578 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,894 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,238 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,654 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 17,993 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green