Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(08-23-2016, 05:34 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: If you fail to see the difference between people like me and Butler '54, versus, say, Eric, there is no hope for you.

But there is hope for you, big guy, as long as you drift in our direction Smile

Bob's comments that I can't see the other side's point of view on things is absurd, of course. If anything, I can see the points of view on the other sides of mine, way better than the "other side" sees them. I'm quite well informed and aware of these other views, and of why people hold them.

But Bob will go on denying this, because he can't see people who have views who differ from their own, as possibly knowing something that he doesn't know. Whoever he disagrees with, is probably "blind" or "partisan," in his opinion.

I'm sorry to say that, though, since we agree on a number of things.

Those who are on the blue side, in general, are on the blue side because they are more well-informed, and more concerned. That may seem partisan and blind to say, but I honestly think it's the truth. That's not to deny, of course, that there are those who benefit from the views and policies of both sides.

But I don't care whether someone is "partisan" or "one-sided" as I and Classic Xer supposedly are, or not. Myself, I think it's often the right thing to be "partisan." Taking sides is often the only way anything gets done, even if compromise is also frequently needed in affairs of state and legislation. There is certainly no reason not to be "partisan," if one side happens to be right and the other side wrong.

Being in the middle of the political spectrum, is a relative thing. In America, to be in the "middle" today is to be on the right wing. The middle at any time is just the middle of current opinion within any particular nation or group. And being in the middle does not mean you are right, in the other definition of "right." To paraphrase that other Barry, moderation is not necessarily justice. But if moderate is where you honestly are, what you honestly think, that's your duty and your right to be in the middle. But you don't have to put down others who are not in the middle, or call them blind and values-locked, as Bob does. It's just different opinions, and all have a right to their voice, and at least a modicum of respect, if we can manage it.

I do agree, though, that people (especially on the right) are stuck in ideologies today. Contrary to what Bob says, I don't consider myself locked. But I am always likely to be a progressive. That's just who and what I am. I have Uranus rising, you know, and Sun conjunct Neptune. It's in my DNA. However you want to phrase it. That doesn't stop me these days from verging to the right (toward Hillary in fact) a bit on foreign policy from my Green and Libertarian friends, or even being a fiscal moderate on occasion, or from respecting and even being a part of "free enterprise."

So if you are stuck in an ideology, I only hope that you can recognize your ideology, what you believe, and how it affects your opinions on things. Self-knowledge is the start of wisdom.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by Eric the Green - 08-24-2016, 02:12 AM
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,620 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,571 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,608 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,888 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,823 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,221 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,647 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 17,946 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green