Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(08-25-2016, 07:23 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 05:11 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Hmm…  Do I really need to explain my concept of a scientific world view?  Really?  Well, maybe I do.  I’ve lived with it for so long as part of my way of looking at things that I find it hard to think others might not see things that way.

I try to put science ahead of politics ahead of religion.  If a political system says supply side stimulus is good, that one should always take from the poor to give to the rich, and I see economic failures when the theory is put into practice, I would learn from observing the world rather than cling to political speeches and theories claiming how wonderful supply side is.  On the other hand, some buy very much into politicians and politics, will follow sets of political principles rigidly, and avoid looking at how poorly the political promises and predictions match what occurs on the streets.

This is just one more convoluted way of categorizing how different people look at the world differently.

Hmm...Do I really need to explain why your boiler isn't operating properly or not working at all? Really? Well, maybe I do considering there's a human involved with decisions who owns the property who will be paying the bill. OK. You place science above everything and your life revolves around science. You don't go to bathroom without science or science's permission. Question. If you fall in a hole and can't get out are you going to wait for science or pray for science or call out science to either help or assist you with getting out of the hole. I place God's opinion of me above all. Question. If you fall in a hole and can't get out are you going to wait for science or pray for science or call out science to either help or assist you with getting out of the hole. I place God's opinion of me above all. Has very much changed in your community or your life since 1980?, I can see why your view of supply side economics isn't similar to mine. We live and we function in different worlds. I associate just about everything that I've seen as far as community growth, modernization and technological advancement within my community, my state, my nation and my life with supply side economics.

You use rational processes to determine what is wrong with a boiler so that you can repair or replace the boiler at minimal cost to the owner of the property. The property will make the most rational choice possible  based upon economic reality. Reality does not include that you be stiffed. But this said, boilers do not go out routinely; their failures. whatever their cause, require some thought for repair or replacement.  I would guess that I could think of a mathematical model that determines whether to repair or replace a failed boiler. If repair is more costly than replacement then one gets the boiler replaced. If simply repairing the boiler implies the certainty of another failure that will require another repair  and stop the use of the boiler with expensive down time, then then one may choose to replace the boiler. But that is a complex choice, one suitable for adult discretion. It cannot be learned behavior to be done automatically.

In contrast one finds complex behaviors that one must learn as a child (like the upright gait, human language. toilet use, and some minimal ethics) so that we can fit into a human world. We learn this as children or we never learn such at all. If some calamity such as a stroke or senile dementia causes us to lose those abilities, then we are in big trouble. Those are difficult to relearn as adults. I'm not going to speculate on why we are unable to relearn such behavior easily as adults, as after a stroke.  One does such things with little thought, or one is in big trouble. Science might have explanations, but this Forum is not technical enough for this. Besides, if I were an expert at humkan development at the level of a PhD, I would not be on this Forum explaining the intricacies of human development. A layman, I can at best regurgitate what I may have learned at the level of an undergraduate college course. Such is not my intention here.

Quote:Question. If you fall in a hole and can't get out are you going to wait for science or pray for science or call out science to either help or assist you with getting out of the hole. I place God's opinion of me above all.

If you believe in either science, God, or both, then you will not let either be your sole means of attempting to escape a dangerous circumstance. You will call for help. You will try to extricate yourself from the dangerous situation. Need I say more/ If God cannot be relied upon for miracles, then science does not lend itself to offering miracles.

Quote:Question. If you fall in a hole and can't get out are you going to wait for science or pray for science or call out science to either help or assist you with getting out of the hole. I place God's opinion of me above all. Has very much changed in your community or your life since 1980?

I see little progress since 1980 in American life except for technology, something generally independent of Divine Intervention and often contradicting the will of economic elites. I see mostly the intensification of economic disparities, with mass poverty offered as an engine of progress. The only unqualified good is recognition of handicap rights (too late for the one that I have) or the legalization of same-sex marriage.

How long will most Americans accept the Moloch that is economic inequality characteristic of a fascist military junta? When Americans quit acquiescing in their own suffering on behalf of economic elites, then we have probably gone into the Regeneracy. Most of what gets rejected in a 4T is the junky ideas and practices of a 3T -- bad politics, bad mass culture, and bad business practices. Such of the junk to be cast off will likely include supply-side economics, especially when more production can do little to create more happiness.

Maybe should we end up in need of Divine Aid -- Abraham Lincoln once said that we cannot trust that we have God on our side unless we are on His Side. But being on God's Side does not guarantee good results. Just think of the desperate uprising of the Warsaw Ghetto. I  am satisfied that Judaism was far closer to being on God's Side than was the ethical void of Nazism. But that is theology, something on which I am no expert.

Heck, were I God I would have brought plagues upon Germany even more devastating than those of ancient Egypt. Maybe I would have even converted the Germans, the gentiles most similar by culture to the Jewish victims of Nazism, to Judaism. There was nothing wrong with the German people between 1933 and 1945 that Judaism would not have solved. I say this as someone roughly half German and Swiss origin with no Jewish ancestry.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by pbrower2a - 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,619 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,571 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,608 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,888 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,823 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,221 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,647 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 17,946 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green