Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(08-25-2016, 04:01 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(08-25-2016, 01:01 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Usually those who have not had a certain basic mystical insight, or have only walked the path "a little ways," can't understand or agree with that worldview. However, that's no excuse today for not even mentioning it. It is well-known to exist, and to be highly respected and venerated by substantial folks. To ignore it, is just to be subject to the Western taboo. You certainly can't lump it with religion, since most religious folks have no clue about it, and are often quite eager to denounce it.

Politics is a mode of action, but it does employ ideologies, which I suppose one could call worldviews, even though they are shallow ones, not having a metaphysical component, one might say. I suppose if one says that politics is the only thing or the primary thing that humans need to do or think about, that would be a "worldview." Philosophy is not necessarily a world view; it is a study of worldviews. Science is not necessarily a worldview either; it is a method of study, but has certain assumptions that tend toward a physicalist worldview. But not necessarily. Only if someone has the view that science is the best or only way to truth, does it become a world view. Philosophy or religion could become worldviews on that basis as well.

Usually those who have not completed a certain degree of conditioning are not completely conditioned.  If one has not accepted Dearest Leader's program for restoring Agricultural Age autocratic values, one of course must be returned to the secret police for further advanced mind altering sessions.  (Some discomfort required.)  Until then, Dearest Leader's vision for world conquest will not be fully embraced and accepted.

I'd suggest that the notion that one's own world view is special, and that all other world views are shallow to the degree that they differ from one's own, would be universal and relativistic.  The more different someone else's way of looking at the world is, the less valid it seems.  'Shallow' isn't the only possible word to describe 'different'.  Often, if someone has a strongly different political world view, it is easy to see him as evil, stupid, insane, deluded, etc...  Scan these forums for exchanges of insults for examples of this.

I'm not immune.  I'm heavily into the scientific approach, and won't latch firmly onto a perspective or paradigm unless I can confirm it by observing it working in the world.  I occasionally find myself attempting to communicate with someone wholly immersed and committed to some millennia old text steeped in Agricultural Age autocratic thinking.  The words I'd use to describe such would make 'shallow' seem a faint gentle rebuke.  It is easy to understand why so many will reach for words like evil, stupid or insane.

What is "working in the world," though? What works is not just what puts out a working car or toaster, or even the best economic numbers. Working is what creates fulfillment and satisfaction. A good ethical or metaphysical worldview works better in those respects than a poor one.

Shallow as I used it just refers to whether the metaphysics on which the worldview is based has been examined. All worldviews are metaphysical, which means based on some basic axioms or truths. A "political" world view is unlikely to be one in which its metaphysics has been examined. Supply side or trickle-down, free-market economics is based on a metaphysics that says humans are competing individuals. But the examination of those concepts doesn't go much further than that. So that means it's "shallow." So is a "worldview" that says humans are members of struggling classes or races. Etc. I feel that you already know this obvious fact, but would rather have the argument. Well, I'll go along, for the moment....
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by Eric the Green - 08-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,601 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,570 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,607 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,885 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,821 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,220 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,645 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 17,937 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green