Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(09-04-2016, 02:07 AM)Galen Wrote: There is a couple of things that you are forgetting.  One is that I don't really do red or blue and both teams  tend to embody the worst of the Boomers.  While their objectives may be different the means often tend to be the same....  

Eric the Obtuse is not merely an echo but rather still acts as if its 1968.  If he were living in Oregon he would have moved to Eugene which is where all the hippies went, this process started about 1985.  In the present Eugene seems to be populated by militant vegans.  A friend of mine was working at HP when one of them complained to her about eating a hamburger during a meeting.  In typical Xer fashion she started eating hamburgers at this vegan.  Militant vegans are the only people on Earth it is possible to eat a hamburger at.

Here is one thing you need to know about politics: Seventy percent of the population doesn't really matter because they are just picking the lesser of evils.  The remaining thirty percent are the ones that do matter because they are busy lining up the rest who do about as much thinking as a herd of cattle.  This is the crowd that tends to embody the worst of any population because they are doing even less thinking than the herd is.

Bob is looking back on the Awakening as a good time because for most of the Boomers it was.  They were simply too blitzed out or self-absorbed to notice much of anything.  The rest of us really didn't enjoy the experience.

Hmm...  I hadn't really noted the similarity between bigotry and partisanship before.  They are linked by the vile stereotype, where one sees one's own group as favorable but builds an ugly idea of what the opposite group is like.

I don't see age stereotyping as essentially different from bigotry by race, gender, religion or most anything else.  One aspect of S&H theory I do not like is how it attracts generational haters, those who broadly hate people based entirely on age.

Hey, I have my differences with Eric too.  However, I see him more as a unique individual than a typical representative of anything.  He's not a typical boomer or a typical Democrat or a typical mystic.  He's...   Eric.  

I'm also with Taramarie with respect to women choosing their own role.  The 1950s and 1960s brought a bunch of labor saving devices for the home and birth control.  Before that time a strong difference in gender roles made sense.  It was never moral, but it was perhaps inevitable.  Housekeeping was a full time job.  It is no longer.  I won't say the change wasn't without problems and side effects that still linger and ferment.  It brought with it a large increase in the labor force.  Suddenly there were more people looking for jobs.  The laws of supply and demand inevitably placed less worth on the value of work.  Our current problems with not enough good jobs generating living wages isn't entirely due to labor saving devices in the home and smaller family sizes.  There are labor saving devices in the working place as well.  Technology is changing the work place big time, and work culture of my youth is gone and not coming back.  Huston, we have a problem.

But my values honor the words of Thomas Jefferson.  "All humans are created equal."  Well, something like that.  Anyway, I reject solving the problem of technology resulting in excess labor with a return of gender barriers.  I am disgusted by those who want to try.

Anyway, I dislike bigotry and sexism.  I am aware that you sincerely feel your hatred, and truly believe in your stereotypical thinking.  So did the Nazis and the KKK  I do not consider sincerity a worthy excuse for that way of judging and treating people.  Preaching hate isn't the answer.  

I can sympathize with your seeing Eric as rigid.  This part of your perception of Eric was likely caused be Eric's rigidity.  You too seem rigid.  

Eric does somewhat echo the mannerisms and methods of the awakening.  However, most blue boomers have long since moved on.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,960 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,579 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,895 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,243 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,656 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,018 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green