Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(09-05-2016, 02:42 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 02:28 AM)Galen Wrote: The Boomers did not consider the effects of what they were doing on anyone else.  It simply didn't matter to them.  As for the financial difficulties you refer to, that is one of the nasty little consequences of their attempt to create a utopia.  I am not recommending any particular course of action.  I am trying to get you to consider why did traditional gender roles arise and why the dysfunction you consider to be normal now was rare until the sixties.  Once you know why traditional culture worked you may be able do better than the Boomers did for generations to follow without having to sacrifice too much.  Maybe you can avoid creating another Generation X.

I am trying to get you to think about more than the immediate consequences.  Trust me, this is a crucial skill.

Well we cannot simply go back to traditional roles just like that. That is unrealistic. A rational and realistic solution would be needed. Women will not go backwards and men also should be allowed to do whatever course suits them too. Rights cannot be taken away once given to a society culturally. Unless individuals feel it is suited to them. Also it was not just gen x that went through this financial and cultural shake up. Us millies did too. My dad took off and my mother had to rely on a benefit as it was illegal to leave a child at home alone till the age of 16. We are financially not well off at all. So, trust me i totally understand your concern. However i do not see another 50's 1T happening any time soon and I would not want to live in a world like that. Despite not being well off at all and life made harder financially I appreciate my freedom to plan my future and not be expected to marry and have a family. Culture is ingrained into us on a deep level and is a hard thing to shake up but also we need to be well off enough individually to create a world that is similar to the 50's 1T. It is just not realistic and for millie women....many of them love the freedom. Keep in mind we were taught to appreciate it from the cradle.

I am not suggesting a return to the fifties but what they did generally worked better.  You might want to try to create some of the same effects in a different way.  This fourth turning is going to be ugly and I don't think what you consider as the status quo is going to survive.  Too many really bad decisions have been made over the last fifty years and I don't think the bill can be delayed much longer.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,601 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,570 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,607 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,885 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,821 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,220 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,645 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 17,938 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green