Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(09-09-2016, 06:55 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-09-2016, 06:04 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Yep...  for being a boomer.  Many boomers are intense and idealistic.  Some younger folk are tired of it, and blame boomer stubborn partisan idealism for the inability of government to get anything done.  There is some truth in it, but the partisan stagnation goes across the generation boundaries.  The generations might have different styles of making sure nothing gets done, but we're all in it.

I know about generation gaps.  In my youth, a famous blue boomer motto was "Don't trust anyone over thirty.", meaning the GIs and Silents.  When we were up in arms about gender, race, peace and the environment, the elders who tolerated and pushed the status quo were seen as responsible for the status quo, deserving of blame and scorn.  The classic awakening generation gap was blue boomer vs GI.

But these days the awakening divide has shifted into red and blue, rural and urban.  There are red and blue folks in all age groups.  I'd rather focus on red / blue differences than age groups.  Perhaps the younger folks are seeing the Boomers as being the senior in charge generation and thus are to blame for existing problems and lack of action, much as we used to view the GIs.

But I see the generation hate far more here than in the real world.  Keep an eye out and you'll see it.  I'm not out to point fingers or name names.  Perhaps someone into generation hate will step forward and give you a demonstration.

Yes it is due to the fact they are the largest generation in power compared to the gen xers who are a smaller generation. If any generation was able to really make a difference it would be a larger generation pulling together to make progress happen. I do not care for generational bashing but that would be the reason why they are viewed that way. Yes younger folk see that generation on the whole as corrupt. Too corrupt and too busy fighting to cooperate. Does that mean that does not happen with younger folk? Not at all. But boomers are the seniors in charge who lack action. So they are blamed. I have mentioned several times here i despise finger pointing at generations as it prevents action being taken or at the very least is non productive and divides us further. I would rather solve problems and with action preferably. Which is what I do on a daily basis especially with the SVA.

The boomers might be a big generation, but we're not able to start a regeneracy by ourselves.  We are also notoriously divided.  As boomers age out of voting and youngsters age in, the demographics are shifting blue.  If one is waiting for a progressive awakening, there is some reason to hope, but the boomers aren't apt to change that much at our age.  I'm looking to the youngsters.  Still, recent tradition in Washington DC is to freely use the filibuster.  As long as that sticks, it will be hard to kick things off.

In general, yes, blaming the elders for the way things have been is understandable.  Still, the blue boomers have done their share and more at pushing for change, but the red boomers have pushed as hard in the other direction.  If one doesn't like the results, I'd rather see the blame placed on one group or the other rather than both groups broadly.

What is it that needs to be done?  Who is pushing for it?  Who is blocking it?

I also find the style of argument is more distinct than the policies being advocated.  Boomers will argue from ideals.  X'ers might be more abrasive, angry and plain spoken.  It's a distinction in culture and style.  Just the way each age group presents their ideas ticks the other age group off.  I don't know that either culture is apt to change, but working up a head full of hate over the style of presentation doesn't seem overly productive.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,950 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,579 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,895 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,239 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,656 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,007 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green