Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
Thanks to Stephen Colbert for directing me to this one. I like it. Big #1 hit. Back to 1987. I don't remember if I knew it back then, but it sounds familiar. Strange for a song that old to have 300 million views on the tube. But there's a reason for this:

Rickrolling[edit]
Main article: Rickrolling
"Never Gonna Give You Up" is the subject of a popular Internet prank known as "rickrolling" involving misleading links (commonly shortened URLs) redirecting to the song's music video.[8] Originally started by 4chan, by May 2007, the practice had achieved notoriety on the Internet, and it increased in popularity after its use as a 2008 April Fools' Day joke by various media companies and websites, including YouTube rickrolling all of its featured videos on that day and a website allowing people to rickroll their friends' phones.[9]

In "a couple of weeks," about 13 million people had been tricked into watching Astley's video, the BBC reported on 1 April 2008. "I think it's just one of those odd things where something gets picked up and people run with it," Astley told the Los Angeles Times in late March 2008, adding: "That's what's brilliant about the Internet."[10][11]

Astley also appeared in the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade interrupting a song performed by those on a float promoting the Cartoon Network program Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends with a lipsynched performance of "Never Gonna Give You Up."

There were reports that despite the video garnering millions of hits on YouTube, Astley earned almost no money from the online phenomenon, receiving only $12 USD in royalties from YouTube for his performance share, as of August 2010,[12] but Astley denied those reports in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Gonna_Give_You_Up
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - by Eric the Green - 04-04-2017, 01:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,416 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 397,003 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green