Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
Here is one of my favorite rock albums.  It is largely considered by fans to be the band's greatest work.

Quote:Like Nirvana — a group that they "paved the way for," according to the band's Krist Novoselic — Faith No More would zig where outsiders would urge them to zag. Their 1990 rap-metal volley "Epic" was a Top 10 hit, but they followed its album, The Real Thing, with the avant-metal terrordome Angel Dust, which Entertainment Weekly called, "probably the most uncommercial follow-up to a hit record ever." 

The opening song.

"RV."  For a young guy of 24, Mike Patton seemed quite concerned with the miseries of ageing.  This song is very funny, though.  "Yeah, I married a scarecrow..."

This song is just balls to the wall insane, and frightening.  "Applause!  Applause!  APPLAUSE!!"  

In this song, a criminal faces his sentence: "I am what I do...I am what I've done!! And I'm sorry!!"  As the song ends, Patton's screaming squalor fades away before a sternly beautiful organ and choral "amen."*  For a long time I assumed they'd lifted that part from some bewigged composer of old, but apparently it's the band's own composition.

*synthesized, sadly, too bad there wasn't enough on the budget to hire a real choir

Quote:However — in America at least — returns would only diminish. 1992's defiantly weird, chaos-crammed Angel Dust would only go gold. [Guitarist Jim] Martin would acrimoniously split from the band after a series of public spats. Too heavy for the post-grunge pop hits of the Verve and Third Eye Blind, too arty to work comfortably with the nu-metal knuckle-draggers they spawned, it wasn't clear where the band fit in by the end of the decade. 

Both quotes from: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featur...k-20150512

Messages In This Thread
RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - by gabrielle - 09-12-2016, 11:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,713 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 399,094 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green