Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct
Dustin Hoffman was apparently doing this when Carter was President -- back in the Boom Awakening.

The Sexual Revolution was an unmitigated disaster for children. That's when male homosexuality expressed itself as the now-disgraced NAMbLA (North American Man-Boy Love Association)... not to say that little girls weren't prey for men, too. The repudiation of predatory sexuality proceeded sporadically and with practical reversals through the degenerate Culture Wars when such behavior was likely to be covered up if there was no dead body with signs of sexual misconduct lying around. Bureaucratic organizations covered up sexual harassment with insurance settlements that made the cost of doing business needlessly expensive.

Child sexual abuse was never really legal during the Boom Awakening, but it was easy to get away with. If one turned out profitable films as did Roman Polanski, one could get away with great misconduct. And let's not forget the First Fornicator, Bill Clinton.

The times are changing, and they are changing fast. Sure, we have same-sex marriage -- sure, because mainstream gays and lesbians threw the perverts in front of the bus. Not that that was wrong. Homosexuality is no more a choice than (pardon the repetition) Asperger's syndrome. I have no use for violence against gays and lesbians, having been mistaken for a homosexual and threatened with a beating. Aside from same-sex marriage and acceptance of transgender rights, we are entering a more repressive time for sexuality.

I doubt that we will quite return to arranged marriages, but there is good reason for dating sites that function in many ways like Yenta* in Fiddler on the Roof. There might be good reason to consider dates involving co-workers, as people get to know co-workers very well. Just avoid dangerous obsession.

The message coming out of the entertainment, news, and political sectors so clearly now may be less visible in academia and Corporate America... sexual harassment is no longer a prerogative of power. The idea that sexual harassment and exploitation demonstrate the reality of alpha males (mostly) may be repudiated. It is happening fast. Rapidly-moving events and trends show the quickening pace of a Crisis Era.

*Maybe I could have used an encounter with someone of the type back in the late '70s or early '80s. I needed to get involved with someone who would push me some and be able to say NO to me when I became a crashing bore. Probably some feminist... but any woman who got mixed up with me would have become a feminist if she wasn/t one to begin with.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct - by pbrower2a - 12-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unkind, Risk Averse and Untrusting beechnut79 13 9,785 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund