Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct
(05-07-2018, 10:58 AM)beechnut79 Wrote: I will see more cause to believe that the change is real when I find that a pro athlete loses his job for sexual harassment.

In fact many athletes, particularly in the NFL, have been outed and suspended for incidents of domestic violence, which is even worse. There have been many stories of said allegations, yet there have been a few that proved to be uncredible. So far, though, I haven't heard of a player being banned for life for such incidents but there may have been. Made me think of how Pete Rose was banned from baseball for life and so far denied entry into the MLB Hall of Fame for something much less serious.

It's highly unlikely that O.J. Simpson will ever get any attention for which he will be paid any money. The general assumption is that he got away with murder even if there was insufficient evidence. He is poison.

Professional athletes are not people with which to get into a fight. I am reminded of an incident involving the baseball slugger Reggie Jackson, who had an unpleasant encounter with some punks with a tire iron. Through sheer strength  the Hall of Fame baseball star approaching the end of his career got hold of the tire iron after a short time. Jackson was cleared (probably rightly so), and the punks were arrested.  Fair warning -- you don't want to mess with these guys. Don't assume that golfers, skiers, ballet dancers, or track stars are any more vulnerable even if they lack the bear-like size of football linemen.

Of course there are not the people you want as a domestic partner if they should ever get violent toward the partner. Domestic abuse is far more dangerous than sexual harassment.

Pro athletes, like screen stars, sign contracts with morals clauses that, if violated, can void a contract. Most major-league sports, so far as I know, have sanctions against spouse abuse as they do for the more classic examples of gutter crime. I am not a sports insider, but in view of the attention given to sexual harassment in other fields, professional sports will likely include sexual harassment among deeds that can void a contract. Those contracts are well worth protecting.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct - by pbrower2a - 05-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unkind, Risk Averse and Untrusting beechnut79 13 9,799 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund