Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct
(05-25-2018, 03:17 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Iowa -- a Democratic candidate for Governor 'suspends his campaign' on allegations of you-know-what.

Quote:Iowa state Sen. Nate Boulton announced Thursday he is suspending his campaign for governor just weeks before the Democratic primary, following allegations of sexual misconduct from multiple women.

"Today, I am suspending my campaign for governor," Boulton wrote in a statement to supporters. Boulton, in the statement, thanked his staff and the campaign he ran, stressing that "Democrats must win in November so we can begin to turn our state around."

"These last 48 hours have been trying. I again offer an apology to those whom I have harmed in any way. It is my hope there is some positive that can come from this moment as we strive to be the better people we can be in the coming days, weeks, months, and years. I know that will be my task moving on from here."

Boulton, one of the top tier candidates in the Democratic primary competing to face Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds, was accused by three women of sexual misconduct in a report published by the Des Moines Register on Wednesday. Boulton did not deny the allegations, initially telling the paper that he did "not have the same recollection."

One woman told the paper that Boulton had grabbed her inappropriately in a bar in 2015. The two other allegations dated from Boulton's time in law school, when women said he had rubbed himself against them.

Boulton was in second place in the Democratic primary in a recent Des Moines Register poll, and he had racked up endorsements from labor unions, state lawmakers and former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley.
Other candidates were quick to denounce Boulton after the report.

“Fred has been very clear that sexual harassment and misconduct has no place in our society and will not be tolerated,” Michelle Gajewski, the campaign manager for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Fred Hubbell said in a statement.

Boulton was part of a six-candidate Democratic field vying for the right to take on Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds in the fall. Reynolds assumed the governorship after former Gov. Terry Branstad became ambassador to China. Retired businessman Fred Hubbell is the frontrunner in the primary, but 24 percent of respondents in the Register poll said they were undecided as of last week.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/2...uct-607135

Wow, sounds like he was hounded out over nothing, at least in the law school cases. And this was not abuse of power either. I am disappointed in this trend. These are mostly bad times in many ways. Increasingly repressive and cruel, all over the world.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct - by Eric the Green - 06-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unkind, Risk Averse and Untrusting beechnut79 13 9,782 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund