Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct
(06-03-2019, 12:38 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: While there were many corrections that needed to be made, the unfortunate byproduct of all the crackdowns has cause political correctness to really get out of hand. Even a sincere compliment in some cases can be seen in some circles and suspicion of harassment.  Very often there could be some misunderstandings which can cause much friction and embarrassments to say the least. This does not in any way excuse obvious abusers such as Cosby and Weinstein. Yet both were able to get away with their misdeeds for many years. Even in the heady Awakening years you or I probably couldn't have. Each case should be considered on its merit.

I have never been in the entertainment industry, but if I were I would be wary of any risk of exposure of myself. Good reason exists to keep a squeaky-clean image even in Hollywood. The most controversial thing I could imagine doing in personal life if I were in the entertainment industry would be to marry some nice Jewish woman and convert to Judaism -- because I am from an antisemitic family. Characters? Everybody does a bad guy at one time or another. Even Charlie Chaplin played a serial killer in Monsieur Verdoux. Would I have accepted a role as Frank or Jesse James? A Nazi war criminal? One of Stalin's henchmen? Pontius Pilate? Nebuchadnezzar? Sure! On such a role I would build evil into the character to the extent possible.

But with a modest-paying line of work, I would lack the money for blowing it on gold-diggers just to get some time in the sack  with them. I distrust drugs (OK, that goes with Asperger's syndrome*), so I would not use drugs as a lure. Sex with someone high on drugs doesn't sound sexy. It would be difficult to get away with such if one has responsibilities on the job. Mess with a subordinate? You will be fired!

The problem with the  entertainment industry is that there is so much money and so little personal accountability. If one is bringing money into the entertainment industry, one can get away with much -- until one risks going to prison. Cosby was an extremely-good actor in hiding his real nastiness as a person.

On the politician in question -- remember the phrase "innocent until proved guilty". But this behavior is creepy even should he not be convicted. Maybe he just has a screw loose.

*I have to put on an act just to seem normal.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct - by pbrower2a - 06-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unkind, Risk Averse and Untrusting beechnut79 13 9,782 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund