Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Authoritarianism and American politics
And yet your 18th century classical liberal economists railed against and fought against intractible medieval feudal bureaucracy that all but strangled trade between nearby towns and districts, and made justice almost impossible with so many different jurisdictions. This was all built on the foundation of successive layers of iron age bureaucracy, from the Greek and Roman empires to the multiple Christian and Muslim empires and bishoprics and jurisdictions and the innumerable feudal obligations to aristocrats and lords. I confess I don't know what you're talking about regarding less bureaucracy after the bronze age. Conditions were a bit more civilized under Greco-Roman influence than under the worst of the Mesopotamian warlords. But I don't think the Christians and Jews would have agreed with you about 1st century conditions under the Roman officials and tax collectors and legions. It was efficient bureaucracy that created the Pax Romana.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Authoritarianism and American politics - by Eric the Green - 01-20-2017, 03:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who else would like politics to be humdrum? Anthony '58 50 11,798 09-01-2022, 02:23 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  SJW's, Identity politics, Alt-Left and Alt-Right Teejay 37 26,054 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Last Post: David Horn