Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Authoritarianism and American politics
(01-21-2018, 10:43 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 02:36 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: The nexus between big money and politics has developed to the point that for all practical purposes,  lobbyists now run Congress. Government by lobbyist is a novel form of undemocratic rule.

I agree which is why Trump self-funded (with some aid from small donations and merch sales) (besides the fact he could) and why HRC was largely bought and paid for by large dollar donors and only was interested in making speeches if she could get at least 1 Million from doing so.  Only the rich have the cash to waste in that manner.

I should assume you're joking, but on the off chance you're not, where do you get this idea? Trump has been the biggest shill in the nation's history, and has handed the keys to the government to private interests almost exclusively. I'm no Hillary fan, but she pales in comparison.

Government has been broken every since Saint Ronald declared that the government is the problem. Assuming Trump gets 8 year, we may be nearing the point where it will be fully privatized. Let's see how you like high fees but lower taxes. I suspect the out of pocket cost will grow dramatically. The PPP that expanded I-66 in NoVA has "congestion pricing" on its tolls that can run as high as $40 for a one-way ride home from work ... no viable alternative available.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Authoritarianism and American politics - by David Horn - 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who else would like politics to be humdrum? Anthony '58 50 11,663 09-01-2022, 02:23 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  SJW's, Identity politics, Alt-Left and Alt-Right Teejay 37 25,840 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Last Post: David Horn