Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X
(09-30-2016, 06:48 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
Eric The Green Wrote:Although, as is the case among all of us in the USA, including among Boomers, that "richest" wealth is concentrated at the top.
I think the Silents have the most wealth.

Quote:Although Gen X has had more to lose in the recession, millennials are having the hardest time making economic gains in the first place.

Uh, not quite. It's location,location,location. Some states' bubbles are larger, some states' bubbles are smaller, the ones in the Oklahoma don't exist at all, go ask Rags'er when he's on the ball. Cool Big Grin Tongue

Quote:Boomers are having a hard time being able to retire or keep working. Although this is a generations site, so it is to be expected to attribute conditions and traits to generations, when it comes to the economy and politics, the divide is less between generations, and more between political parties and the red and blue "tribes."

When are you going to blame the Federal Reserve for blowing all of these stupid bubbles?

Quote:That's where we should be placing the "blame;" on the Republicans. It is their policies, and their imitation too often by Democrats, that have brought about less equality and economic mobility in our society, ever since the charming, ruggedly-handsome actor deceived us into adopting trickle-down economics and free trade, and convinced us that government is the problem.

That's one place to point a finger. Here's some more.
1. The Federal Reserve and their EZ money policy.  What a nest of idiots.  Low interest rates DO NOT work in a debt besotted economy.
2. Sally Mae.  Why can't they figure out that degrees in "fashion merchandising" , "general studies", history, etc. won't be enough to pay the loan back.
3. Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae.  Why do these agencies even exist? They do nothing but fuel housing bubbles.

No, the housing bubbles depend on location, as you said. And 2nd mortgages still get tax deductions, for one thing. And free trade > China boom > rich Chinese buying up houses.

But if interest rates were higher, mortgage rates would be higher too, and it would be even harder for millennials to get a start than it is now. The Fed is useful, up to a point. Lower interest rates are needed when the economy is slow, higher rates when it is high. I think the conventional wisdom is right on that; no sense in going conspiratorial-theoretical on that. I don't see the connection between housing prices and QE either. More bank loans does not necessarily mean high housing costs, unless the banks are making dangerous loans to home buyers again. Are they?

Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae existed and still exist to make it easier for people to get loans. But like so much else, they had abusive and greedy leaders in the 00s.

I got a better idea. Let's just blame everything on Taramarie.

(that's better than blaming everything on Hillary, as Trump did in the debate)
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-20-2016, 12:30 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-20-2016, 07:16 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-21-2016, 07:00 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-27-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:01 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:03 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:08 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Eric the Green - 09-30-2016, 11:15 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Singers > Boomers, Xers and Millennials JasonBlack 11 1,748 06-01-2022, 09:05 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack