Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X
(10-02-2016, 10:16 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 06:53 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Those graphs don't mean much, when the fact remains that for all groups, the wealth is distributed so that most of it is owned by the very wealthy. If the top 1% own most of the wealth, then even if all of that 1% are in their 60s and 70s, that's still a small proportion of those in their 60s and 70s. That's why it's worth pointing out that there's no real generational divide, except in some peoples' minds. The divide is political, between those who believe in the trickle-down theory which has created the inequality, and those who don't. That's all that matters today.

Then why do you keep calling Generation X materialistic when there is absolutely no basis for it?  Why is that when there is talk of the materialism of Baby Boomers, it is "oh, it's just a small portion of people in their 60s and 70s who are in the 1% income range," but the "typical Gen Xer is pecuniary"?  That's bullshit.

Strauss and Howe noticed it too. As soon as Gen X started dominating their classes, they wrote, the students' attitude was not philosophical and question authority and such, but quick, how can I use it to make some money. Gen X were "sharp-eyed survivalists" according to them. Gen X are "pragmatic individualists" and "entrepreneurial." Most people agree on that. I didn't bring up "pecuniary" in this thread though; that was how Rags described himself, and I pointed out that the Survivor villain who best exemplifies this is Russell Hanze, who is the epitome of the worst traits of Gen X. But Xers admire him for his strategic ability to win by any means that he can, and many call him the best player ever. The Survivor game itself is a typical Generation X expression, since Gen X are "survivalists."

But there's no doubt, all Americans and maybe all people in today's materialist society have a strong dose of materialism, and boomers were famous for throwing off their anti-materialism in the 80s and becoming yuppies. They went materialist right along with Gen X as it came of age. So everyone knows all of that. But the graphs you posted are baloney, if you want to say that this supposed wealth gap (as some have over the years here) is because boomers have grabbed all the wealth, and that's why millennials and Gen X are suffering. No, if anything, THAT's the "bullshit." And Warren Dew is right too; older people saving money is just the normal course of life; although even so, some few people can save a lot more than others. Generational rivalry and blame is misplaced blame; the politics of the typical 3T libertarian philosophy is to blame. Republican blocking of all liberal policies, and Democratic compliance with Republican policies (as in Clinton's going along with repeal of Glass Steagall); those are to blame. Inequality created by Republican policy is to blame. It's up to all generations now to look beyond materialism to what is best for all generations. That means, go left politically.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-20-2016, 12:30 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-20-2016, 07:16 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-21-2016, 07:00 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Galen - 09-27-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:01 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:03 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 09-30-2016, 07:08 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Odin - 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM
RE: "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X - by Eric the Green - 10-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Singers > Boomers, Xers and Millennials JasonBlack 11 1,774 06-01-2022, 09:05 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack