Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(03-06-2018, 10:04 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 07:40 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 02:17 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 03:20 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 10:56 AM)David Horn Wrote: Your right to buy in no way implies my obligation to sell, unless I already sell the product or service to some but deny that product or service to members of a protected class.  The second half of that sentence is only true because laws have been passed to make it true.  Barring those laws, businesses could discriminate on any bases they choose.  You may not like that, but that's the limit of the mandate.  All the protected classes have been defined by our civil rights laws and, indirectly, by the constitution.  In this case, you are implying that the 2nd Amendment mandates that 18 year olds cannot be denied the right to buy the guns of their choice.  Even Scalia balked at that.  I don't care for the Heller ruling, but Scalia made it clear that limits can be imposed.

Privately speaking or conducting business man to man/person to person or while conducting private business within a private setting that's true/correct. We're not talking about those situations, we talking about a national chain who is in retail business whose doors are open to the general public. A corporation who is operating under the legal jurisdiction of both the state and federal government and the state and federal laws that pertain to gun sales. The 18-20 year old's who Dick's has excluded are of legal age to purchase a shotgun of any kind or a long gun or rifle of any kind within the United State of America and The State of Minnesota according to the states and federal law that exist today. They also have a legal right to purchase legal guns according to the US Constitution as it stands today. I mentioned AGE. Is age discrimination mentioned and recognized in state and federal laws.  

Age discrimination only applies to those of us over 40.  It doesn't apply here

Classic-Xer Wrote:
David Horn Wrote:This I seriously doubt.  Dick's may lose some business, gain some other business it wouldn't have otherwise, and will thrive or fail as a result.  Management made a business decision.  That's the job of management, and it looks like sound judgement to me.  I doubt they did it for purely selfless reasons.  Likewise, their creditors are not likely to alter their relationships in any way.

I'll be saying "I told you so" within a year or two.

Perhaps or perhaps not.  The NRA may finally be losing it's grip on the issue.  If so, then Dick's is making a smart move.

If the poll brower posted on the Trump poll thread is correct, then Classic Xer's opinion will not prevail, and ours will, when it comes to shopping at Dick's.
It's not a Trump issue or blue issue (Trump is a blue issue), it's a second amendment/Constitutional right issue and an American issue in general. I don't expect much response because it's early and only small things like individual refusals, small scale preparation type things like gathering information for large scale lawsuits are going on at this point. I'm sure business is pretty slow at Dick's considering we are in a seasonal/monthly transition from winter activity to spring/summer/fall activity. Which may have had something to do with Dick's decision announce now as a ploy to bump up sales. How many fishermen are gun owners or second amendment supporters? I am both a fisherman and a hunter and an avid second amendment rights believer and supporter. How many people know people like me than know people like you? Think about it, blues hang with blue. I hang out and get along with everyone to the right of you from the more American minded blues like Bob to the least liberal minded American Reds like the Devil's Advocate.

The poll happened to be posted on the Trump approval poll page by pbrower, but it stands on its own and is not directly related to polls showing approval or not approval of Trump.

It is largely a red/blue divide issue, but there are individual exceptions to be sure. Police tend to vote Republican, but are strong gun control supporters. Some leftist radicals are gun supporters because they oppose or don't trust the government (just like right-wing radicals). Bob is a strict constitutionalist, like Scalia was. 

Your attitude is parochial and provincial, because you call people who think like you "American minded" or the real "Americans," even when polls show the majority of Americans are on the blue side on this or other questions.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by Eric the Green - 03-07-2018, 01:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,171 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,709 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,154 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,879 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 27,327 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 772 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,930 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 715 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 750 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,092 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter