Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(05-01-2018, 12:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 02:21 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 11:05 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 06:35 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 09:13 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Am I perfectly rational? No.

I know you have some sort of dog thing.  You seem obsessed and delusional.  Well, in the old days of hunter gatherers, the dogs would corner or exhaust the prey, and wait for the more deadly of the two partners to arrive.  The humans were equipped, trained and ready.  They would finish the job.  The humans were dominant, the dogs less so.

Since then, many humans have chosen to become wimps.  Not all, but many.  Technology has potentially made them all the more potent, but many choose to be helpless.  Even today, if a criminal with a gun wanted a dog dead, the dog would be dead.  You would be a fool to seriously think otherwise.

Or at least as dead as your arguments.  Many blue think that if they really concentrate on thinking nice thoughts, they can ignore nature red with blood.  Well, they can't.  It isn't done by wishful thinking.  Bottom line, you still have to be stronger than the other guy.  If you think you don't have to be, you might be dreaming.

I don't know if I think like that or not; I'm not sure. But thinking nice thoughts is not without power. At least an attitude and confidence that you live in a safe society, borne of taking responsibility to make your society safe and prosperous through government and volunteer action, contributes to respect for law and human rights.

Dogs successfully deter many criminals. True, it is not foolproof against an armed criminal. But guns are practically useless. The only way to create a safe society, is to think the nice thought that it can be done, and then get together with your fellow citizens and do it. It helps to live in a state where there's a long tradition of people doing it. They are called blue states. If you prefer barbarism, move to a red state and arm yourself to the teeth. Most guns today are owned by a relatively few gun fanatics there.

There is no limit to how strong you have to be in order to be stronger than all the other guys. That is as futile as to think that wishful thinking alone makes things so. There is always someone better than you in any competitive situation. Give up the quest and accept your weakness. In numbers there is strength, not isolation and individualism.

And yet, criminals will prey upon the weak, and todays active shooters turn to cowards or suicide if confronted.  Any society to work just has to be stronger that its criminal element to work well.  The red theory is that one can best do that by allowing private individuals to be strong as cops get to where the criminals perceive weakness only after the criminal is long gone.  This is also why so many of the shootings take place in or near schools, hospitals or some military bases.  The opposite is thought, that if you disarm the lawful, this creates zones where the criminal or active shooter sees himself as operating freely for a time.

I know what the red side thinks. I understand that in the parts of America where most of them live, there's some truth that cops would arrive late, and so they need to be armed or own firearms. Understandable; but I still think it's wrong, since unless the arms are locked away where they can't be stolen, the criminals and the unqualified can steal them. And they do. And the owner himself can turn violent and shoot people. And locking the guns up makes them far less useful in a sudden crisis. This Trump-trumpeted idea about gun free zones is a red favorite, but it's wrong. Gun free zones means that no-one there can turn into a shooter. A gun free zone may also allow for an armed and trained guard, if I remember correctly. Or at least some other protections.

The shootings take place in many different places, of all different kinds, all in good numbers. Churches, concert venues and clubs, shopping centers, theaters, offices, restaurants have all been hard hit. Few of them take place in areas advertised as gun free zones. They take place in locations handy to the shooter, or related to his frustrations. I would hardly think a military base could be considered a gun free zone!
Gun free zone means one is free to shoot/wound as many people as possible and turn as many people as possible into hostages too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by Classic-Xer - 05-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,(Whatsapp:.......: +1 (551) 239-2904) Visas huunnjh655 0 135 03-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: huunnjh655
  Buy Real and Fake Passports, ID Cards, Driving Licenses, SSN, Birth Certificates, Dea dominicadomi 0 41 02-22-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: dominicadomi
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,148 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,680 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,133 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,849 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 26,911 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 766 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,924 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 709 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999